Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'major in international studies' Gates millenium essay about Short and leng term goal

oromo04 1 / -  
Discuss your short and long-term goals. Are some of them related? Which are priorities?

"Without goals, and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination." During my life, this axiom has proven itself correct multiple times. This was the axiom that motivated me to go from a 3.0 Quarterly Grade point Average my freshmen year of high school to a 4.0 quarterly Grade point average my sophomore year of high school. Ever since that occasion, I have set many short and long-term goals that I want to achieve during my journey through life.

As a young boy, I did not know what I wanted to be when I grew up, but I always knew that I desired to do something that served the common good. Combined with my interest and life experience, I recently discovered that I want to work in a third world country advocating for social justice and public health by becoming a college professor. The reason behind this is that I grew up in a country where Government officials shunned, tortured, and killed people because of their cultural and political differences: just like they did to my father. I want to contribute to stopping horrendous circumstances like this by becoming a professor. By becoming a professor, I can positively shape my students opinions so they can lead a better tomorrow.

This goal of mine that I thought about as a child is still a reality for me today. To be able to achieve it, I will major in international studies during my undergraduate year of college with a minor concentration in Arabic and Spanish. Through majoring in international studies, I will be able to gain knowledge about different economical, social, cultural, and political fields that humans employ in their daily life. I also want to minor in Arabic and Spanish because of my strong desire for learning different languages. After I complete my undergraduate education, I will put my earned skills to good use by either volunteering for AmeriCorps or Peace Corps.

After volunteering, I intend to go back to graduate school and get my PHD either in Public health or education. I will use this degree to work with the world health organization to help prevent death caused by preventable diseases. I will also work as a professor in a third world university, where I will teach social justice. With an open mindset, I will be able to achieve my goals I outlined.

For the time being, my goal is to complete all of my scholarship and college applications without performing negatively in my classes during this hectic period. Since I am taking heavy loads of classes, leading in a varsity sport, and managing two school clubs, it has been a difficult task for me to juggle everything at once. Despite all the things I have to cope with, I am working harder than ever to achieve my short goal of finishing my high school year strong.

Home / Undergraduate / 'major in international studies' Gates millenium essay about Short and leng term goal