"To major in something that fits me perfectly" - Why does Brown appeal to you?

izzyev 1 / -  
This is my draft essay for Brown's question, Why Brown? Any feedback is welcome, I'm trying to speak from the heart as much as possible but I'm also aware that in the past, that hasn't got me where I want to be...Thanks :)

On the first day of school, Teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. We answered ballerina, fireman, vet, astronaut. In high school, Teacher asked us again: doctor, architect, lawyer, analyst. Now that it comes to applying to college, I find myself faced with the same question again, and although many of my peers already know, the truth is, I never really knew how to answer. As a young girl, I answered Scientist and as a teenager, Journalist. Now that I find myself at liberty to choose, I find that it is a choice I do not want to make. I view the entry to adult life as the start of a process of narrowing; every choice I make will see a thousand other options vanish, will cause the paths I may walk to dwindle into one small road. The next time they asked me The Question, I asked them something instead: Why must I choose? Why can't I study what I'm interested in? Why can't I major in something that fits me perfectly, rather than fitting myself into the options that are given to me? This is the reason that I want to study at Brown. I want the freedom not to have to choose until I am ready.
GiantHead 3 / 9  
Good work, izzyev!

But I think you this point is not going to stand out. As you know, every university allow you to explore and find out the where your interest lies in the first two years. I know that Brown is especially famous for its open curriculum but I don't think the stress you put on it is enough. You should something more specific about Brown, just IMO.

Good luck to college!
niricabiri - / 7  
On the first day of school, Teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. We answered: ballerina, fireman, vet, astronaut. In high school, Teacher asked us again: doctor, architect, lawyer, analyst. As I apply to college , I find myself faced with the same question again, and although many of my peers already know, the truth is, I never really knew how to answer. As a young girl, I answered Scientist and as a teenager, Journalist. Now that I find myself at liberty to choose, I find that it is a choice I do not want to make. I view the entry to adult life as the start of a process of narrowing; every choice I make will see a thousand other options vanish,the paths I may walk will dwindle into one small road. The next time they will ask me The Question, I will ask them something instead: Why must I choose? Why can't I study what I'm interested in? Why can't I major in something that fits me perfectly, rather than fitting myself into the options that are given to me? This is the reason that I want to study at Brown. I want the freedom not to have to choose until I am ready.

Hey this is really good. But, I agree with the GiantHead, maybe talk about Brown a little bit more. But, I like that it shows that your are ambitious, and you are curious, and you want to explore. Good luck :]

Home / Undergraduate / "To major in something that fits me perfectly" - Why does Brown appeal to you?