UC Prompt 1 - Majoring in Computer Science to help the working industry

anthonysw 3 / 7 6  
I'm kind of nervous regarding this personal statement. Please help me correct any grammar or logical errors! Thanks!

Prompt:
What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement.

Essay:
A computer scientist, as far as I knew, used the Java programming language to make online games, which was not in my favor at the time. This is why the specific major was not on top of my mind if you asked me 3 years ago. I used to think of majoring in industrial engineering, to help my father with his plastic molding factory when I graduate, by studying the production process.

My school offered a number of opportunities for me to try everything. One of the things that I learned was using a computer. One of the most significant things I have learned in class is integrating a web designing experience by HTML with data storage by PHP. The first few times studying this lesson, I could barely start because of boredom. How can such a heap of tedious lines of code print just a modest lump of statement? From then on, I appreciate the beauty of computer science: the perplex yet fascinating codes that can create anything you want. It's definitely not easy to make games with movements of creatures and prompt mouse clicks for a reaction.

During a free project, I designed a mock-up website of an airline company, complete with flight booking process and a dropdown of office locations at its destinations. Presenting this project to the teacher, I was given appreciation for thorough application of both PHP and HTML programming. From that time on, I switched gear to what I wanted to be. I knew I could be a computer scientist.

I chose to learn computer science in the United States because there is where most of the ideas about computer science are made and adopted. I chose to learn at a community college first in order to slowly cope with the active American learning system, as well as to find out if my choice stands by the time I will transfer. Fortunately, the campus has been supportive in helping me to grasp the concept of computer functions, and a journey of discovery that takes my knowledge to a whole new level. I found out that there are different types of lists in programming languages, each type of data is best sorted in one of them. I realized that computers were not only made for gaming, but also to help the community.

Now as I am about to step up to transfer to a new college, I am proud to say I am ready to change the world with technology. After getting a degree in either computer science or informatics from the University of California, I want to apply my knowledge by giving back to my father who had been vigorously working for my living, as well as other fathers of the same profession. I'm thinking of making a software that simulates the molding process of liquid plastic with a specific shape input by the user. There are indeed, other ways to help the working industry and computer science can be one of it.
ProBoundz 2 / 7  
First of all, you have a lot of repetition. You also do not clearly mention how your surroundings have affected you. I would also suggest writing in present tense and sticking to it. What does a computer scientist have to do with you not majoring in CS?

Focus on eg your fathers love for CS or your school that made you want to do CS.
OP anthonysw 3 / 7 6  
Hi. The moment I was determined to learn computer science was actually a past experience, but maybe a present tense can also be used. Also my father was not into computer science. But I do agree on being repetitive. Thanks and I will correct this as soon as I can.

Home / Undergraduate / UC Prompt 1 - Majoring in Computer Science to help the working industry