Want to make a difference in the World; Why am I the perfect candidate?

nja2497 2 / 4  
Prompt:
Please summarize the reasons that you are applying for the ************ Program, how your participation in the program fits into your future educational and career objectives, and why you feel you are a good candidate for the program. You may also discuss your institute/area of research preferences and personal goals.

Essay:
My reasons for applying to the program are numerous and varied. First and foremost I want to make a difference in the world but more importantly I want to make a difference in the lives of many affected by the harmful effects of wounding diseases.

My passion for the field of science stands unparalleled to other topics of study. I am enthusiastic about studying the human body and trying to understand how and why things work.

This interest was sparked when I was made aware that my father had been diagnosed with diabetes. Upon learning that diabetes stands incurable; I vowed to aid anyway I can to help the advancement of the alleviation to diabetes.

Another reason for me desiring to undertake scientific research was formed by a close uncle of mine. At a young age in my life, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and since then, I have witnessed his motor functions steadily degrade over time. As it stands today, there is no effective cure to treat Parkinson's disease but it is my hope that I can do something to help change that.

Immediately following my high school graduation, I plan to enroll into a university and double major in the sciences, preferably in the areas of biochemistry, microbiology, and/or genetics. After college, I look forward to attending graduate school to earn my doctorate in biology while beginning to work at a position in a laboratory conducting research my chosen field of study.

My goals in life, through my career, are to leave behind a legacy that people will embrace helping to pave the way for a brighter future. I yearn to make a difference in this world that will leave humanity better off and set the stage for bigger and better advancements in the future. My chief aspiration is to be a part of the team that formulates an effective cure for many cruel diseases such as diabetes.

It is my hope that with admission into the *************************** program, I will have the rare opportunity to begin enhancing my expertise in scientific research while jump-starting my future as a researcher studying to progress our understanding of the human body and its processes. The vast amount of knowledge that I will be able to take away from the duration of the program shall be key in achieving my goals and ambitions.

I am an excellent candidate for the program because of my wide array of skills and talents. I am excellent with computers as I have spent many hours of my free time disassembling, diagnosing problems, and reassembling them. I also enjoy working with other people as can be seen through the vast amount of time volunteering in my community. The total amount of time I have spent helping to serve my community this year alone totals up to over 170 hours so far.

Along with those two, I am a dedicated working determined to reach a status of excellent in everything that I undertake. I understand the the time and dedication that it requires to become expellent and I am prepared to give the program my all. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Any help revising or suggesting improvements if very much appreciated. I want to be accepted so badly so this essay needs to be in perfect condition by the time I submit. I will try to help others with their writing as you guys help me with mine. Thanks so much to you all!
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
I would suggest that you start this essay with a description of your reaction when you heard that your father had diabetes or your uncle had Parkinson's, and how the diseases changed their lives and made you want to become a researcher. Then explain that you want to join the program to cure people suffering from diseases.

(Keep in mind, though, that if the program you are applying to is medicine-related, then probably every student applying wants to help people suffering from diseases.)
OP nja2497 2 / 4  
Thank you for all your help. I really do appreciate it!

Home / Undergraduate / Want to make a difference in the World; Why am I the perfect candidate?