"Make a living out of something you love to do" - University of Texas at Austin Statement of Purpose

perle95 1 / -  
Hello! This is my statement of purpose essay for my transfer application to University of Texas at Austin! I'm a little nervous about this essay, because I've never really had to write something like this to be accepted, so some feedback on this would be great.

"There will be people that will say you can't make a living out of something you love to do. But are you really living by not doing it?" - Olan Rogers

We all have passions that sustain us, while some consider their passion as just a hobby; others decide to make a living out of it. Usually, they seem to discover that passion relatively quickly in their youth. For me, however, that process seemed a little bit more difficult. I am an enthusiastic believer that you should do what you love for a living. Through my high school career, I planned on being a photographer: nature, wedding, fashion, so long as I was doing what I wanted to do. However, I made a last minute decision a month or two before graduation. Instead of photography, I wanted to go one step above that into filmmaking. It was an easy transition, I already knew how to use some equipment and I have always loved films. To me, it was the perfect mix of photography and storytelling; I could close my eyes and visualize how I would want a scene to look, how it would play out, and how I would be able to achieve it. Something finally seemed to click into place: if I was going to do anything, it was going to be filmmaking.

As someone who is so invested in creativity and storytelling, that has and possess the technical knowledge of camera and lighting, filmmaking is perfect. My ultimate goal to make something powerful and meaningful, whether it's an independent or Hollywood film. Part of that goal is inspiring and sparking creativity in others, especially young women. I find it shocking that there aren't more women in the filmmaking industry, and usually it's because production companies never give them a chance. There is this stigma that anything technical or behind the camera is a "man's job". Growing up, I always heard that as a woman, if you wanted to work in filmmaking, you were going to be an actress. In reality, any position behind the scenes shouldn't be just a "man's job". As an aspiring female filmmaker, I realize that I will face challenges, even though there seems to be a desire for change in the film industry as far as gender equality and diversity. I hope to help inspire a younger generation of girls to tell their stories and help them find the right opportunities. The filmmakers and storytellers I love and enjoy have inspired me to be creative and try new, unconventional ideas. Because of these influences that I've had throughout my life, I am incredibly grateful for the lessons that inspire me to make my projects better than the last, to never be afraid of trying something new, and most importantly, to never be afraid of doing what I love.

By the time my sights were set towards making films, I had already been accepted to the University of Central Missouri. Instead of pulling out and taking the time to search for a film school that might benefit me, I decided to stick with Central Missouri and declare myself as a Digital Media Production major. At the time, that seemed good enough﹣ close to home, and what seemed to be a decent program. However, I realized that opportunities that I want to create for myself would be difficult where I am now and I can't help feeling that I could aim for something more. The Digital Media Production program is decent, for being fairly new. The issue was that it could be better, specifically more organized and more challenging. I want to seek and even create opportunities that are more challenging and will take me a step further to where I aim to be. Taking the easy way and just settling for what you have sounds safe, but isn't the best option. You have to try; you have to fight to get to the place where you want to be because there is no easy way to get there. In the past couple years I have gone out and just filmed any idea that came to mind, improving my skills and learning what I can and can't do. If something doesn't work the way I thought it would, then I would analyze it, figuring out where I went wrong and what I could do to improve it. I started talking to other filmmakers around Kansas City, obtaining contacts and asking for advice. I'm willing to make my opportunities, rather than waiting to be given to me. I'm certain I would be able to improve my skills and find better opportunities at University of Texas. With the university's high standards and expectations, I know that I'll be receiving the challenge that I've been wanting for in order to push myself truly towards my goal of creating films and inspiring others to do the same.
I think the first few sentences of the first paragraph can be removed. They are not really helpful for conveying the main idea of the essay. It will be great if the paragraph begins with the sentence that says, "I am a firm believer..."

But I like the way you start by saying, "We all have passions that sustain us... " Maybe that can be used somewhere else in the essay.

I like all of this. You'll do really well with this; you write well. And writing is part of film making. In fact, film is a new art form that combines music and visual art and writing with digital art, performing art -- you might want to focus on the fact that you are an artists and that as an artist you want to use the form of art that combines all others and represents the most ophisticated aft humanity has to offer.

: )

Home / Undergraduate / "Make a living out of something you love to do" - University of Texas at Austin Statement of Purpose