"to make responsible choices under peer pressure" - UBC BBA Ethical Dilemma

tkfqkqdl 2 / 4  
Describe an ethical dilemma that you encountered during the past 4 years. How did you handle it and what did you learn from it? (200 words max)

Living with fifty girls in the same house, and handling girls from younger grades sometimes presented a dilemma. As a prefect, one of my significant duties included advising younger students from my position as a trustworthy older student. One evening, I received a call from one of my fellow grade nine sisters over a major crisis. While I knew about her and her friends' outing, I did not think that things would get out of hand. They broke the boarding rules and had also involved alcohol. When I arrived on the scene, I faced a dilemma. I struggled between maintaining the boundaries of trust that the students had in me and the responsibility that I had to tell the houseparents my concerns about the students' health. If I called the houseparents, it meant that I might lose the younger students' trust in similar future situations. On the other hand, if I did not consult with the adults it would allow this behaviour to continue. Thus, I decided to call in, and to continue to work towards good communication with the girls. Although I initially lost their trust, I learned to make responsible choices under peer pressure.

Any suggestions or grammer help would be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Chronopolis 1 / 1  
I'm writing a BBA for UBC as well! Good job on the response!

One evening, I received a call from one of my fellow grade nine sisters over a major crisis. While I knew about her and her friends' outing, I did not think that things would get out of hand. They broke the boarding rules and had also involved alcohol.

Consider reversing these two sentences? The main point is that your "while" sentence needs an event before it.

They broke the boarding rules and had also involved alcohol I think there is a cleaner way of saying this. Not that sure, it might be alright as it is.

I struggled between maintaining the boundaries of trust that the students had in me, in light of themy responsibility that I had to tell you could use a word like express to the houseparents my concerns about the students' health
Great advice here from Colin. I also want to mention that this sentence needs revision:
They had broken the boarding rules and also started using alcohol.

Nice job! It will be great if you can add some slightly more interesting twist to this so that it is not so simplistic. Many people write about a dilemma pertaining to a decision like this. Add your own interesting element to this concept. :-)

Home / Undergraduate / "to make responsible choices under peer pressure" - UBC BBA Ethical Dilemma