What I make,why I make is the ultimate result of who I am Parsons artist statement

paulazh 3 / 5 1  
Hey there ! This is the artist statement for Parsons, product design. Could you help me giving me suggestions and advice ? What can I change to make it better ? Say whatever you think. Be honest !

Thank you ! (:

What do you make, how do you make, and why do you make? Ultimately, where do you visualize your creative abilities and academic study to take you after your education here at Parsons?

Everything that I am exposed to, my influences, my background, my community, and so many other aspects make what I am. What I make, and why I make is the ultimate result of who I am. That desire deep down in my heart, to make, to create, and to design has always been with me. It is often hard to express in words how I feel while putting what was previously in my mind, in my own imagination, into something tangible, into reality. I will try to put it down in words anyway. It's like giving birth to a child who is longing forever to get out of my inner space to be seen, to be someone useful and someone helpful. Not that I've ever given birth to a baby. As I grew older, this desire has only grown bigger, which makes me increasingly passionate about design. Just like parents who would do anything for their children, I am willing to work hard, really hard to make my "children" succeed. They might make some mistakes at first, but I will always be ready and willing to correct them, making sure that we learn from these mistakes so that the same won't occur again in order to become better ones. What I make, and how I make often comes along with my curiosity. I am curious about how to make things, how to reach to that final stage once looking at that good work that caught my attention. How did s/he manage to make this impressive work? When I think of a design, I am most curious about how to and what to use in order to make it. What materials, medium, time managing, and order of making would best benefit the design functionally, visually and environmentally? The process, the skills and techniques needed to lead to that final project is what makes me really curious, which consequently makes me want to create. I am often curious about the process of others' works, and curious about the techniques of my own future projects. Once I've made it to that point and solved the problem of "how", I've also reached my apotheosis. The best part of my curiosity is that it always leads me to try, to discover, and consequently to learn new ways to make, and how to solve a specific problem.

I come from a diverse background of rigorous education, creative upbringing, compassionate communities, and inspiring environment. I've always been a really dedicated and persevering person. I always work hard to be good at whatever I do, and that's the aspect I am proud of. My creative abilities, self- motivation, capability and academic background make me visualize myself as a successful person after my education at Parsons. I see myself as a product designer with open doors in the future, by walking through the path of a challenging and diverse program at Parsons along with my own abilities and commitment that I've achieved. It will take me far, and give me a bright path ahead.
davidjaychoi 3 / 6 1  
I understand why you want to be a great artist, but i dont understand how and why you make. That part seems very genericand dissembled within this essay. Im not asking for a blunt response to those two questions but they shouldnt be concealed when the admission directors are looking for those answers. Be more specific in those regards and your essay will be much stronger.

Home / Undergraduate / What I make,why I make is the ultimate result of who I am Parsons artist statement