What makes us survive is not because the life never getting easier, yet we are getting stronger.

masktaz 6 / 15 3  
I have to make an autobiography (No More Than 500 Words).
I realize this essay still lack idea and some parts still out of place. Therefore, your feedback means a lot to me.

I grew up in Minangkabau ethnic group, one of existed matrilineal society in the world. As a lastborn child, I might be spoiled and attempt to differentiate myself by being a little bit rebellious. Besides, I can maintain myself to have good grades. Those are the pictures that I get when I recall my childhood memories.

When I was in the 4th grade, the way I live my life suddenly changing at the moment my mother passed away. She was suffering from myasthenia gravis, a rare chronic autoimmune disease, then my father's business went bankrupt a couple months later. We don't have anything left, yet he never give up on the circumstances. He earns a bit money by becoming a masseur and we have to stay at his friend's house. This happens for years. This life-changing experience may shocked me at first, not to mention that I'm still mourning for losing the most important person in my life. When I saw my father, I saw the value of hard work. He never shows me his sorrow. No matter how bad the circumstances are he stand tall and I had to move on.

I have great hope to continue my study in earth science. However, I know that my father unable to pay me for college. I told him that didn't want to burden him any longer. So, I decided to leave my hometown after high school in order to gain experience and find a job in the capital city, Jakarta. I find getting a job is extremely difficult and there are a lot of people whose lives are much harder. Finally, I got a job as a shopkeeper in a toys store. I was set aside part of my 2 years payroll for college preparation, yet the money still far from sufficient. I another way to get me go to college.

One day, I found one of my uncle profile in facebook. The last time we met was at my mom's funeral. I come and visit his home with hope for his generosity to help me to continue my study. He had a good economic level and I know that he had a high concern about education. Gladly, he agreed to help in funding my education. He told me a story when he had a conversation with my mom a week before she passed away. She told him that she really had great hopes for her kids and want to see her children continue to college and be successful. However, she entrusted my uncle to help me because she knew that she will never get to that. He helped me to gain back my spirit and build my dreams.

Finally, I can continue my study in geophysical engineering. I'm grateful for everything I have now. The life toughens me and taught me the meaning of struggle. What makes us survive is not because the life never getting easier, yet we are getting stronger.
vahid5570 2 / 2 1  
I comecame and visitvisited his home with hope for his generosity
lcturn87 - / 435 236  
I can help assist you with some of your essay. The first sentence is needs a better explanation. You were really close at explaining this well.

I think you should begin your essay discussing how you can recall your childhood memories. Then discuss where you once lived. Here is a suggestion:"...I grew up in Minangkabau,one of a few existing matrilineal societies in the world". The next sentence change the verbs to past tense: "As the youngest child, I was spoiled and attempted to differentiate myself by being a little bit rebellious". The next sentence needs to help you transition to the next paragraph. Ex: Yet, life suddenly changed for me at a early age.

2nd paragraph:" When I was in the 4th grade my mother passed away." Place a period after disease and start a new sentence. The verbs need to be in the past. I will give you the correct tense for those verbs: didn't have anything, gave up, earned money by becoming, happened, experience shocked, I was still mourning because of losing, showed, circumstances were he stood.
OP masktaz 6 / 15 3  
correct tense fo

Here is my revision. Is there any improper idea that I should replace? What do you think of my 4th paragraph?

I always recall my childhood memories every time I look at my family portrait. I grew up in Minangkabau ethnic group, one of existed matrilineal society in the world. It is not surprising if I had a stronger bond to my mother. As the youngest child, I was spoiled and attempt to differentiate myself by being a little bit rebellious. Yet, life suddenly changed for me at an early age.

When I was in the 4th grade my mother passed away. She was suffering from myasthenia gravis, a rare chronic autoimmune disease. In couple month later, my father's business went bankrupt. We didn't have anything left, yet he never gave up on the circumstances. We had to stay at his friend's house and he tried to earn money by becoming a masseur. This happened till I finished high school. This life-changing experience shocked, not to mention that I was mourning for losing the most important person in my life. When I look at my father, I saw the value of hard work. He never showed me his sorrow. No matter how bad the conditions were he stood tall.

I had a great hope to continue my study in earth science. However, I knew that my father unable to pay me for college. Therefore, I didn't want to burden him any longer. Consequently, I put down my dream to go to school and decided to leave my hometown after high school in order to gain experience and work in Jakarta. I found my life was hard with all the economic problem and depression, but there are a lot of people whose lives are much harder. Luckily, I got a job as a shopkeeper in a toys store. I set aside part of my 2 years payroll in order to sign up for college, yet the money still far from sufficient. So that, I need to find another way.

One day, I found one of my uncle profile in facebook. The last time we met was at my mom's funeral. I came to his home with hope for his generosity to help me to continue my study. I know he had a good economic level and a high concern about education. Gladly, he agreed to help in funding my education. Then, He told me about his conversation with my mom a week before she passed away. She told him that she really had great hopes for her kids and wanted to see her children go to college and be successful, since she never been one. However, she entrusted my uncle to help me because she knew that she will never get to that. He helped me to gain back my spirit and objectify my mom's dream.

Finally, I took geophysical engineering. I'm grateful for everything I have now. The life toughens me and taught me the meaning of struggle. What makes us survive isn't because the life getting easier, yet we're getting stronger.
lcturn87 - / 435 236  
There are still some errors but the meaning is becoming clearer. I will focus on the 4th paragraph but help you with other paragraphs.

3rd paragraph: "However, I had hoped to continue my education in earth science. Yet, I knew..." You can delete some words: "Consequently, I decided to leave ..." Change are to were in the next sentence. State "toy store" and "set aside two years of my payroll... money was still"

4th paragraph: "found my uncle's profile on Facebook". It is more common to say "the last time we saw one another". Next sentence you were close to the correct usage: "home hoping he would be generous enough to help me continue my education" .

The following sentence is incorrect: "income level and concern" Please correct "Then, he..." At the end of the sentence that discusses your mom's great hopes or dreams correct the end of the sentence , "since she never attended college". I would suggest saying, "because she knew she would never get to help."

The last paragraph has too many ideas with not enough information. If you end by stating that you have finally achieved you goal and studied engineering. "My life taught me the meaning of struggle. I believe what makes us survive isn't due to life getting easier, but that we're getting stronger."

Look at the first two paragraphs, there were a few corrections you may have missed. I hope this helps!

Home / Undergraduate / What makes us survive is not because the life never getting easier, yet we are getting stronger.