Making dreams come true. What Intrigues you? NYU SUPPLEMENT

salehrama10 6 / 16 1  
What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

"It's precisely the possibility of making a dream come true that makes life interesting." The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho, is a deep and meaningful novel filled with lines like this. The Alchemist is a great story for anyone with a dream. It tells the story of a young farmer, Santiago, who has a recurring dream, for many nights, of a little boy taking him to the Pyramids of Egypt. Santiago is told by a gypsy that the dream is a message from the universe telling him that he must travel to the Pyramids and find a treasure. Although this is a fictional book written in basic language, it teaches valuable life lessons and philosophies on the idea of making a dream come true. It's because of the teachings of this book that I have accomplished my set goals so far in high school.

The Alchemist inspired me to read for fun. Books such as the 48 Laws of Power, The Secret, and many more became my main interests and put me on the right mind set in order to be successful in life from a young age. Throughout my high school career, The Alchemist has had the most significant impact on my life because I could relate to Santiago; I was a young boy who had big dreams and had no clue of how to achieve them since I was the new kid. By applying the lessons I learned from this book, I was able to achieve everything I wanted to: I won my school's yearly pageant and won the title of Mr. Echo, stayed in the top ten percent of my class every year, and finally became the senior class vice president.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Good. This is a good essay that answers the prompt, however, I am left with one question...What lessons did you actually apply? Fully flush that out as you just gloss over everything here in the essay. If you can fully connect these points - an example of an actual lesson you applied in your real life - this essay will go from good to great. -AAO
OP salehrama10 6 / 16 1  
@Admission2012,

How's this

"It's precisely the possibility of making a dream come true that makes life interesting." The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho, is a deep and meaningful novel filled with lines like this. The Alchemist is a great story for anyone with a dream. It tells the story of a young farmer, Santiago, who has a recurring dream, for many nights, of a little boy taking him to the Pyramids of Egypt. Santiago is told by a gypsy that the dream is a message from the universe telling him that he must travel to the Pyramids and find a treasure. Although this is a fictional book written in basic language, it teaches valuable life lessons and philosophies on the idea of making a dream come true.

The Alchemist inspired me to read books such as the 48 Laws of Power, The Secret, and more which put me on the right mind set in order to be successful in life from a young age. Throughout high school, The Alchemist had the most significant impact on my life because I could relate to Santiago; I too was a young boy who had big dreams and had no clue of how to achieve them since I was the new kid. But by applying its lessons on working hard now and staying committed to my goals in order to have fun later, like how Santiago chased his dreams before settling down with his true love Fatima, I was able to achieve everything I wanted to: I won my school's yearly pageant and won the title of Mr. Echo, stayed in the top ten percent of my class every year, and finally became the senior class vice president.

Home / Undergraduate / Making dreams come true. What Intrigues you? NYU SUPPLEMENT