"I manage all of this", I would love to be a part of this place - FSU Essay - critique and ideas...

moochykk33 1 / -  
For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

The past seven years of my life have been spent balancing classes, making decisions, and competing in a sport that takes extreme dedication; yet I manage all of this. Vires signifies three strengths that only few can obtain, and I am one of those hardworking few. Everyone has experienced times where their morals are tested, but I can honestly say I have not, nor plan to give in when these times occur. Throughout my life I have always been true to myself and my beliefs, not changing who I am just to get the approval of surrounding people. I have always been one to solve my own problems, and depend only on myself, not others to clean up after me. There will always be people that don't agree with my decisions, or the way I have chosen to live my life and spend my time, but I have learned to understand that this will never change. I choose the right steps for me as an individual to get myself where I can succeed and get the life that I want, and know I can have.

Swimming has been the biggest part of my life for the past seven years. It has tested me both mentally and physically, but I have made it thru and have come out a much better person. Every time I set a goal for myself, it isn't if I can do it, but instead when will I do it? The constant training that I have gone thru is thought of as crazy by most. I run miles, lift weights, and swim thousands of yards while keeping the thought that nothing is impossible and my future is up me in my head. I am not one to give up or quit something when things get hard or don't seem to be going in my favor. I know that you may reach low points but things can only get better if you keep pushing towards your goals.

On top of practices twice a day, and spending time with the people who love me for me, I am a full time student. All throughout middle and high school I have made good grades, never coming close to failing a class. I have always taken honors, AP or Dual enrollment classes, never settling for easy. I have learned to manage my time to favor my schoolwork, as well as my athletics. If I have a problem with schoolwork I do everything possible to find an answer. I don't like having people tell me answers when I'm trying to find out for myself. I have always been interested in health and nutrition, which is why I plan on majoring in sports medicine and nutrition.

I am an extremely hard worker, and love the things that I do. I don't believe that anything can stop someone from doing the things they want and love. For almost 100 years, Florida State University has been guided by the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, and Mores". These three words have different meanings, yet this school has been able to bring them all together. I would love to be a part of this place that strives to bring everyone together, no matter what their interests, or goals in life.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
"...say I have not, nor plan to, give in when these times occur."

"...problems, and depend only on myself, not others, to clean up after me."

"...but I have made it through and have..." "Thru" is inappropriate slang for academic writing.

"...my future is up to me in my head. I am..."

"I know that you may reach low points but things can only get better if you keep pushing towards your goals."
Avoid using "you" and "your" in formal academic writing; instead, try using "I" or "one."

"...AP or d ual enrollment classes..."

"...I do not like having people tell me answers when I am trying to find out for myself."
Avoid using contractions in formal academic writing; they are inappropriate and many instructors will count down for their use.

"Vires, Artes, and Mores". Should be: "Vires," "Artes," and "Mores."

Structurally, the essay is very well organized and concise. The paragraphs are arranged nicely and the essay is very fluid. The introduction and the conclusion tie the piece up very well. Your body answers the prompt, and except for the suggestions above, very clean.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / "I manage all of this", I would love to be a part of this place - FSU Essay - critique and ideas...