I am a manifest renaissance man. The long term scholastic and professional ambitions

rurus 1 / -  
Describe your long term academic and professional goals and how participation in the program could develop or expand your skills required to achieve these goals.

I describe myself as a manifest renaissance man, I have internally mapped out what I intend to be my career trajectory, first I seek to obtain a B.sc in biomedical engineering, with a minor in communication, I would move on to graduate school to obtain an M.sc in bioinformatics and bio-imaging followed by a PhD in biophysics. Furthermore, I intend to apply to law school in pursuit of a law degree and license to practice law in the united states.

Patents, intellectual properties, copyright infringement and litigation related to this are bound to be a major part of legal jurisprudence in the coming decades, it is my intent to be a part of this and to help set up the framework. To be an effective patent lawyer, defending the hard work of engineers, it requires an effective communicator, but it also helps if the lawyer has deep knowledge of science.

Concurrently, I am also interested in research, as a young boy growing up in enugu, Nigeria 10,000 miles from the shores of California. My aunt was injured in a ghastly accident, she was amputated, the doctor informed my family about prosthetics as a treatment option but we couldn't afford it. I felt helpless, it would be my goal as an engineer to reduce the costs of these aids and ameliorate the suffering.

Of all the engineering majors, the reason I chose biomedical engineering was because as an inter-displinary major it combined chemistry, biology, physics and statistics into one in a condensed structure. My intended concentration is on bioinformatics, rehabilitation engineering and biophysics. As a bioinformatician I would be able to combine computer science, statistics and mathematics to analyze biological data, it could also be put to use in agriculture. The plan is to build a program that can analyze the effects of water level, sunlight, pest, ecology; pesticide can affect crop yield, analyzing and make recommendations available to the farmer in minutes.

Participation in the SULI program would help immensely in making me a better engineer and a etter person. It would place me in a work-oriented laboratory environment, up until this moment most of my knowledge has been based on theory, this program would give me practical and laboratory experience. I would have to find creative solutions to interesting problems. Furthermore, being in an environment with seasoned professionals would enhance my analytical and serve to polish my research skills. It would also allow me to learn new methods, technique and how to handle certain equipments and perform certain experiments.
Numi, since this program concentrates on engineering (bio-engineering?) it would be best if you limit your long term academic and professional goals to only the areas that intertwine with this field of interest. While law may be one of your other academic goals, it is irrelevant to your participation in this program and therefore, should not be included. You should only reveal information related to the specific field of interest that this program supports.

The story of your aunt should be the opening statement of your essay because it is an extremely interesting and revealing hook in terms of gaining the interest of the reader. If you open with that statement, then follow it up with your academic plan before you present your professional goals, that paragraph should work way better than it does now.

When you discuss how your participation in the program will help you, try to be more specific. You are discussing the program in general terms in your essay when you are required to show a sense of familiarity with the program requirements and offerings. Look into more specific aspects of the program that applies to you. Mention how these program activities can specifically help you. Make sure to let the reader know which parts of the program excite you the most because these are the parts where you plan to fully participate in an effort to further increase you abilities and and skills as an Engineer in training. By showing your familiarity with the program offerings, you will let the reader know that you are more than ready to join this program and that you will most likely be a successful participant.

Home / Undergraduate / I am a manifest renaissance man. The long term scholastic and professional ambitions