FSU -marching band epitome of Mores and Artes

lee1036 1 / -  
The Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

The air is deathly silent as we wait. I close my eyes and think about my plan of attack when over the loud speakers a voice is heard saying "William Fremd High School you may now begin the competition." Marching band has taught me some of the greatest values and traditions that I have kept throughout my years in high school. Just like the Greek word Mores, which signifies character and tradition, I found/formed traditions and relationships through all the people I met during the course of the activity. Also through marching band I encountered Artes, beauty of intellectual pursuit, when I was taught the beauty of the values of being diligent in everything that I do.

The first day of band camp was my first encounter of the traditions that I would take part in during my years in marching band. I was thrust into a flurry of section spirit as each of the sections had. In the percussion pit we had traditions such as the section leader giving us all a little talk before each performance or going out to eat after playing in the football games. Not only did I form traditions with my fellow pit members, but I also found friends amongst the other sections and formed traditions like going to laser quest after a competition and having a party to watch the marching band season DVD. Throughout the experience we formed relationships with each other that lasted far after the marching band seasons ended. Marching band has shown me the values of having character and enjoying the traditions that I became a part of.

Along with creating new traditions and friends, marching band has taught me the importance of doing my best in everything that I do. During marching band there are so many things to juggle including memorizing the music and mastering the form of playing in unison with one another. Through the numerous practices and repetition of movements and measures, I became aware of the beauty that comes with perfection. The satisfaction of getting the show to near perfection helped me see that diligence and hard work does make a difference to how you live your everyday life.

Throughout my years in high school, marching band has been the epitome of the Greek words Mores and Artes for me. I learned the magnificence of perfection and skill through the actual shows that I went through and I cherished the traditions I made through the experiences I was exposed to during this activity. Even though marching band is not a part of me my senior year of high school (You must do band in order to do marching band and I couldn't fit band into my schedule.) I still somehow find use in the values and customs that I learned from marching band every day. I know that FSU is a school built upon these characteristics so I know that I can add my merits to the traditions that FSU has upheld.

-Does my essay answer the prompt and do you think that this essay is good?
2011Grad 1 / 4  
You don't have to restate what Mores and Artes means; they already know what it means no need to reitterate. The first two sentences seem misplaced. Make your paragraphs longer and more detailed. Good job though!
I agree about not repeating what they mean:
Just like the Greek word Mores, which signifies character and tradition, I found/formed traditions and relationships through all the people I met during the course of the activity.

And it is better to do it this way:
I experience what is referred to as Mores when I found traditions...

Revise this Topic Sentence so that it includes the word "embody"
The first day of band camp was my first encounter of the traditions that I would take part in during my years in marching band. ------- (i.e. I began to embody Mores on the first day of band camp, when I had my first encounter with the traditions that I would take part in during my years in marching band.

If you do that, then you'll have a Topic Sentence that supports the main idea of the essay.

Do that with this sentence, too:
Along with creating new traditions and friends, marching band has taught me the importance of doing my best in everything that I do.(try to incorporate the word Mores if you can.)

See what I mean about how to have topic sentences that support that main idea?

Home / Undergraduate / FSU -marching band epitome of Mores and Artes