'market dynamics and math modeling' - Management and Technology Essay

arthurwu1 2 / 3  
Discuss your interest in combining management and technology. How might Penn's coordinated dual-degree program in business and engineering help you meet your goals? Please be sure to address the nature and extent of your interests in both business and engineering. (Please answer in one page, approximately 500 words.)

As I sluggishly plod into the bathroom on Monday morning, I feel a weird sensation. After rubbing my bleary eyes, I notice two small figures on my left and right shoulders. The one on the left donned sharp Western Business Attire with a matching tie and polished shoes. The one on the left sported a sleek calculator and a strangely colored turtleneck.

And I come to a realization: No more Nutella before bed.

"Null hypothesis: Teenage boys function properly with 4 hours of sleep. Parameter of measurement: Brain Activity." says the turtlenecked man. He vigorously punches in data into his calculator in a flurry of movements. "P-value of 0.028173. Reject null hypothesis."

I blinked again, but they were still there. "Carl, at least introduce yourself," remarks the one the left, rolling his eyes. "My name is Kevin. We came here today to help you resolve a decision, between Wharton..."

"..and Penn Engineering." Carl finishes.

Kevin continues, "So tell me, Arthur, what are some of your experiences in business?"

His words conjure up several memories: manning my lemonade stand at a block party. Dominating middle school stock market simulations. Selling origami at a cultural festival.

"This isn't little league, Arthur. What else?" an apparently telepathic Kevin retorts.

In high school, my passion for business grows tremendously. I reminisce about discussing the future agenda of Investment Club with my club sponsor and presenting lessons to fellow club members on financial market theory. Then, I'm managing thousands of dollars as treasurer of the two of the largest clubs in school - Model UN and Club Asia. Finally, I'm at my last stop as a marketing intern in Evergreen Enterprises, a multinational corporation. Each of these experiences has established a strong interest in this field.

Carl prodded me with his calculator, prompting me to move on to consider my endeavors in engineering and technology. As a high school student, I preside over the first meeting of Future Problem Solvers, eventually winning several Gold Medals in the process of battling sensory overload. Then, I'm working power tools to craft a model water filtration system for municipalities in AEM's Construction Challenge. Suddenly, I'm in front of a computer, running several mathematical models learned from my time as a Virginia Aerospace Science and Technology Scholar to beat out the competition in a math modeling contest. And before I know it, I'm shaking my bosses hand at Genworth Financial as a paid associate in the Virginia Technology Internship Program.

And by the end, I do not know which field to commit to. Kevin and Carl likely picked up on this, since they started to assume combative martial art stances. But I realize something that Kevin and Carl did not - management and technology are intertwined. Selling an ingenious crew exploration vehicle design as a Lockheed Martin employee to acquire a NASA contract requires the strong communication skills of a businessman and the innovative mindset of an engineer. Leading a technical firm dealing with sensory overload depends on excellent management skill and understanding of scientific jargon. Serving as a risk management director for Genworth demands both the knowledge of market dynamics and math modeling.

Upon my revelation, Kevin and Carl stopped their fight to the death, only to sigh and say, "This one's another Jerome Fisher kid." I can't agree more.
meliss25 1 / 3  
This is REALLY good. I don't know much about business and engineering jargon. Therefore, I can not really help you with this essay, but from I read, it sounds really really good. The only thing is that in the beginning, when you're naming Kevin and Carl, you say that they are both on your left side. Is it supposed to be that way, or did you mean to have one on the left and one on the right?

Good essay though and I hope you get in :D Good Luck :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'market dynamics and math modeling' - Management and Technology Essay