'the mascot of Olin was a phoenix' - Supplement- Is Olin a good fit for you? WHY?

Jonessayslayer 3 / 4  
Why is Olin College a good fit for you?

During my summers at NIST, I gravitated between two different groups- the theoretical scientists and the experimental scientists. The theorists urged me to come and explore the mathematics of atomic vibration, while the experimentalists urged me to come into the lab and create graphene. For a number of weeks I was torn between the two- theory and practice. The theorists said, " You need to understand", while the experimentalists said "You need to experience." Over time, I realized that what I wanted wasn't just one or the other, but a mix of the two. However, it wasn't the usual blend of theory first and practice later that most schools advocate, but the opposite- practice first and theory after.

This was one of the criteria that I used as I started my college search- I wanted a school that wasn't just concerned about transmitting knowledge, but one that takes the abstract and detached world of engineering and brings it down to a personal level. I looked all over the country- and then I found Olin. I discovered not only a design-based college that had achieved a unique balance between practice and theory, but also a haven, one that encourages both leadership as well as teamwork.

During my campus tour, I learned that what Olin strives for is to have its students experience engineering not only as students, but as entrepreneurs. The design-based classes emphasize creativity and imagination by giving students the opportunity to define what's important to do without teachers telling them. It's about getting the students to question with boldness, to experience, and with those questions and experience will come understanding. This is a place where the learning style, the passion of the students, and the teacher enthusiasm would all complement what I would bring to the table- passion for both learning and helping others learn, a vast imagination, and a steadfastness that I apply to every problem I come up against.

I also learned about the Honor Code at Olin, which not only emphasizes a set of simple values, such as integrity and openness to change, but that it emphasizes an spirit of partnership that is reflected in its curriculum. It's important in Olin's project-driven environment that people be able to work together for a greater purpose. As I learned from my position on the Student Council of my school, it is key for leaders to realize that you can achieve more by helping others achieve their own potentials and empowering them than by deciding who should lead. This appeals to me because I know that I learn more from the group interactions that not only leave me with new ideas, but everyone else as well.

As I was leaving campus, I saw that the mascot of Olin was a phoenix. Looking back, I realized that the phoenix perfectly symbolizes Olin. It's a place with a willingness to reinvent not only its teaching methods, but how its students think, and I could think of no other place to be.

Thank you for any help!
This was one of the criteria that I used as I started my college search- I wanted a school that wasn't just concerned with transmitting knowledge, but one that takes the abstract and detached world of engineering and brings it down to a personal level.---I like the way you write!

I looked all over the country- and then I found Olin. I discovered not only a design-based college that had achieved a unique balance between practice and theory, but also a haven, one that encourages both leadership as well asand teamwork.

The design-based classes emphasize creativity and imagination by giving students the opportunity to define what's important,to do without teachers telling them.

This is a place where the learning style, the passion of the students, and the teacher's enthusiasm would all complement what I would bring to the table- passion for both learning and helping others learn, a vast imagination, and a steadfastness that I apply to every problem I come up against.

... such as integrity and openness to change, but that it emphasizes an spirit of partnership that is reflected in its curriculum.

...key for leaders to realize that you can achieve more by helping others achieve their own potentials and empowering the m, than by deciding who should lead.

:)
tracked89 1 / 11  
This is a great essay! A few comments:

-You might want to spell out NIST
-Replace hyphens with em-dashes
-"I looked all over the country- and then I found Olin" is a little hyperbolic
-Elaborate on "design-based classes"
-"I also learned about the Honor Code at Olin, which not only emphasizes a set of simple values<<,>> such as integrity and openness to change, but <<that it emphasizes an>>[[also values a]] spirit

-I love the ending!

Home / Undergraduate / 'the mascot of Olin was a phoenix' - Supplement- Is Olin a good fit for you? WHY?