Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"mastering an Asian language and other interests" - BU Supplement

vienna_v 3 / 6  
Given what you know about BU, what do you hope to accomplish as an undergraduate? Please respond in an essay of no more than 500 words.

I have many varying interests; it is often difficult to pick only one or two things to focus on. I love travel, music, science, theater, languages, and so many other things that when I began looking at colleges to apply to I could not find any that encompassed all of these subjects. I eventually narrowed my list down, and decided on International Relations, a major that would allow me to both travel and learn other languages. Boston University was not only a great fit for International Relations, but also for my multiple and diverse interests. Being located in Boston, BU is in the center of a historical and cultural center that I would be able to benefit from greatly. As an undergraduate, I would utilize the resources provided by BU, including the numerous student activities such as dance or theater, and the opportunities that I would have from being in a vibrant city such as Boston.

As an undergraduate, in general, my goals include mastering an Asian language, as well as continuing my study of Spanish, participating in community service activities and contributing to BU as well as the city of Boston, and traveling to at least two different countries while simultaneously studying their cultures. I am, however, uncertain as to what type of career I wish to enter into after college, and I hope to create a much clearer picture of my future through my education and experiences as an undergraduate.

Judging by my experience visiting BU, as a student I would be thrown into a large and diverse group of students, which would provide a much needed contrast to my current small-town, even smaller-school, environment. Also, being one in the handful of non-Caucasian members of my community, I am excited to experience other nationalities and cultures.

The most important, though general, thing that I hope to accomplish as an undergraduate at BU is to become a global person. All of the other, smaller things that I wish to achieve tie into this larger goal, and I strongly believe that BU is a perfect place to pursue it.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / "mastering an Asian language and other interests" - BU Supplement