'math within a field of computer science' - Mathematics Essay for Governor's School Program

rpeopler 1 / -  
I'm currently a Junior and have been selected as a potential applicant for a Governor's School program within my state, which I will attend this summer if I am inducted. We are required to write two essays, and neither may exceed 500 words (or even a single page, preferably). While I am fairly confident in my first essay, my second one involves my nomination area, mathematics. I have to mention my strengths and weaknesses, as well as what I hope to acquire through Governor's School. I attempted to keep it as succinct as physically possible, but any feedback is appreciated.

As individuals reflect back on their childhood, they likely recall discovering a field of expertise. Personally, I discovered that mathematics has been my niche since the very moment I came to the realization that everything within life was granted a specific value. From simple addition to more meticulous, abstract concepts such as derivatives learned within a calculus course, mathematics feels like a grandiose puzzle in its entirety. What truly embellishes mathematics is the fact that it is a considerably flexible field. People will find that its concepts, whether elementary or convoluted, are integrated within virtually every occupation. I aspire to apply my deep interest in math within a field of computer science to perfect our society.

The ability to exhibit professionalism in merely a select number of subjects is inherent within human nature. While I am fairly competent in most areas of mathematics, I find that my weakest attribute involves the execution of deductive reasoning. This is implemented into mathematical proofs that attempt to validate provided arguments. With a concept directly associated with logic being a fragile area, this could potentially jeopardize a prospective career as a computer scientist, which primarily entails being able to practice this technique successfully. However, fundamental algebra and calculus are imperative within this area as well, which I can successfully perform as if it is an innate talent. My adoration and dedication toward these subjects of mathematics contributes to my goal to pursue a career involving them.

While myriad mathematicians are indubitably masterful within their appropriate subject it is quite comprehensible that they can improve within certain areas. Though I exude adeptness within calculations involved in algebraic equations and calculus, I believe that familiarizing myself with the individual theorems and postulates involved in deductive reasoning will assist me in understanding why particular mathematical laws are true. This will not only be beneficial in terms of intricate, complicated mathematics but rudimentary concepts as well. As my mastery of the general subject continues to develop exponentially, my inquisitive mind will always succeed in discovering new, unprecedented conventions of mathematics. I earnestly believe that the program presented by the North Carolina Governor's School will assist me in comprehending the underlying concepts of applied algebra and calculus to perpetually strengthen my aptitude within these respective subjects.

Thanks for reading the material! I hope that you will provide some constructive criticism.
anfernee 6 / 19 13  
this WEAKNESS[quote=rpeopler]which primarily entails being able to practice this technique successfully.

this could potentially jeopardizea MY prospective career as a computer scientist,

which primarily entails being able to practice this technique successfully .

My adoration and dedication toward these subjects of mathematics contributes to my goal to pursue a career involving them.

However, fundamental algebra and calculus are imperative within this area as well, which I can successfully perform as if it is an innate talent.

However, I can still master fundamental algebra and calculus, which are also important in computer science.

While myriad mathematicians are indubitably masterful within their appropriate subject it is quite comprehensible that they can improve within certain areas.

l willassist me in comprehending HELP ME COMPREHEND the underlying concepts of applied algebra

Could you show your prompt? I think we can better help you with a prompt.
BTW, this essay is good. You clearly showed your passion for maths and what you will do in the future.

Home / Undergraduate / 'math within a field of computer science' - Mathematics Essay for Governor's School Program