Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Math and Foreign Language - Common App/Subjects I have excelled

lexilex1995 6 / 17  
My strong ambition and well committed teachers that I currently envy in my life are the factors that attribute to my success.

In middle school, My math teacher and tutor, Mrs.Wallace, would encourage me by giving me as many math problems she believe that I was capable of doing. She gave a lot of work, but with that work came a reward if you got the problems correct. I remember competing in the school district Math-a-thon for the first time and receiving a medal for solving the most math questions. Our school didn't win the Math-a-thon, but I felt accomplished because it was a total rush to solve problems at a quick pace. Mrs. Wallace encouragement with the math lessons sure did arouse my interest in Mathematics. I became very competitive in class, I always challenged my fellow classmates to see who can solve the problem fast and correct. I was always the victor in those challenges, after challenging my friends I would ask for problems to go home and practice more equations. I felt accomplished whenever I solved a problem that my teachers would miscalculate the equation, I began to feel as if I started to surpass her. When I became a little more mature I began to realize that math is used in everyday life. When I joined the mini chess club, it became simple to understand because I was calculating how many spaces it would take to get to the King.

When I got settled into high school, I kept the spirit that I had in middle school up to my junior year. That's the year I met my Algebra teacher, Dr. Frost. She was the most intelligent math teacher I have ever come across. She shared her passion of math to all of her students. Dr. Frost taught Different from the teachers I previously had she had a certain way to show how she wants the problem to be done and right. She always showed Hip-Hop Math videos from the latest songs to encourage the students interest in Order of Operations, Pythagorean Theorem, and Slope Intercept. Whenever we had a test and my grade was a B, she would encourage me to improve by writing on my paper "you can do better". She changed my whole perspective of math, I use to just do it because I was taught how, but now I do it because it's a profound curriculum. At the end of my Junior Year, Dr. Frost recommended me as a recipient for the Ohio State & Honda Partnership Math Medal Award. The award was for students who excel in math with a G.P.A of 3.0 or higher and want to major in Engineering. I was accepted for that award in the beginning of my senior year. With Dr. Frost I learned pre-calculus and calculus problems and aced them with good grades.

In Addition to math, foreign language (Spanish) was another subject that I have excelled in. When I was a freshman, I knew nothing about another language. At the time, Learning a second language was scary and exciting because I was new to the "learning a different culture" concept. Just like math, I began to enjoy spanish; this was due to the fact that my teacher, Mrs. Carranza, taught her culture from her heart. The thing that separated her from the other teachers was her expression of teaching. Besides just taking notes and watching videos she took learning to a whole different universe. Mrs. Carranza would let us role play, make spanish music, and gave out class projects to do. Some of the projects were on Spanish countries. One of my favorite countries is Mexico because they celebrate "Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead)". Day of the Dead is a day of celebration where you remember and prepare special foods in honor for the deceased. I enjoy this day because Mrs. Carranza let us bring in certain foods and sit in silent for the people who have passed on in that year. This celebration allowed us to show respect to other countries and also appreciate the Spanish culture more often. As Went through Spanish II and III during sophomore year i passed with flying colors.

Til this day, I still speak Spanish and I enjoy Math even more. Both subjects have become very special to me. I still go back to my teachers when they want me to explain what they are going to teach to the incoming students that they receive.

Home / Undergraduate / Math and Foreign Language - Common App/Subjects I have excelled