(Math, science, and art) UMICH SUPPLEMENT-what attracts me

sgupta654 3 / 3  
Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School (including preferred admission and dual degree programs) to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests? (500 words maximum)

I want to finish my undergraduate studies in the same manner that I will finish my high school career. By the time I graduate college, I want to say that I have fulfilled all of my wants and needs by taking advantage of almost all of opportunities offered. University of Michigan's College of Literature, Sciences & the Arts (LSA) and the Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design offer the undergraduate education that I seek.

Math, science, and art have always been my forte because, for me, they are the most intriguing subjects. Science and math continue to challenge me every day, and by accepting these challenges, I have strengthened my logical and conceptual reasoning and learned a wealth of information. On the other hand, art allows my brain to relax and my imagination to let loose. Boring is a word that never comes up in the subject of art because I can express myself explicitly on a piece of art work in a variety of different ways with a variety of different media. University of Michigan (UM) offers the flexibility I need to achieve satisfaction with my undergraduate studies by taking courses related to math, science, and art.

University of Michigan's LSA offers one the world's best pre-medical school education and research. If accepted, my major in biology, and research and education from UM's Health Sciences Scholars Program will definitely qualify me as a medical school-ready applicant. However, I don't just plan to major in a science field. I want to go beyond what is needed. If accepted, I'll plan to major in a math field such as economics in LSA and minor in the visual arts in the School of Arts & Design. This way, I can assure my interests in math and art also. University of Michigan's educational opportunity is the not the only aspect that attracts me, the balance, diversity, and freedom offered at Michigan also play a tremendous role.

I think of UM as a great, big bowl of ice cream. The great chunks of different flavored ice cream represent UM's education, extracurricular organizations, and social life. While other schools only offer one flavor of ice cream, UM offers all flavors and accepts any combination. The toppings on the ice cream represent student diversity. With the enrollment of over 40,000 students, there is no shortage of diversity and extracurricular activities and it is easy to find anyone or any group one desires. Also, the city of Ann Arbor provides the perfect college-town setting. The bowl that holds the ice cream represents UM's commitment to providing an incredible undergraduate and graduate experience. If accepted, I will be sure to take my time to build a nice bowl of ice cream and eat it without leaving anything behind.
rezwan3 7 / 19 4  
Good essay, however I do suggest a good opening and talk a little more on how you mean to improve UM as a whole
HC2013 3 / 15 2  
I agree that you should work on your intro. Take out almost in your second sentence, and tell more about why you seek U of M. I think the bowl of ice cream metaphor has potential but needs work. I found it a bit confusing and admissions isn't going to want to re-read it multiple times to get your point. Overall, good essay though!

Home / Undergraduate / (Math, science, and art) UMICH SUPPLEMENT-what attracts me