Math and science/ Parents' nursing career; Cornell Sup; Interests/ experience

xcrunner095 1 / 3  
Prompt: : How have your interests and related experiences influenced the major you have selected in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences?

It's not easy planning one's future. Uncertainty seems to be everywhere, and it's an arduous task trying to figure out what to do with the next four years of my life. However, that daunting journey can be made a little easier when one has a goal shining at the end of the tunnel. For me, that goal is becoming a doctor. That goal has greatly influenced me to seek a major in biological sciences.

My dream of becoming a doctor didn't materialize from a single source. It wasn't because I had a life changing experience that greatly influenced my entire outlook on life. It's not like I woke up one morning and said to myself, "I'm going to have a bowl of oatmeal and then embark on the long road to medical school." Contrarily, my decision was influenced by both external and internal sources.

I have always been fascinated with math and science. The logic of math and the "real world" application of science go hand in hand, at least in my mind. From dissecting a frog to learning about limits, I always look forward to my science and math classes. Add to that, my experiences in activities such as cross country and the spring musical have taught me what the end result can be with that ever important word: teamwork. Yet, there are a myriad of professions that one could chose that involve science, math, and group participation. Why a doctor out of all of these choices?

Along with that passion, my personal experiences have greatly influenced my decision. I have heard countless stories from my parents about the events in their careers as nurses. For some reason, they always seem to be told while the family was enjoying dinner. When I was younger, the stories of surgeons removing external parts of the body and "digging" in various places instantly made me lose my appetite. As time went on, however, I became fascinated with my parents' stories, especially when they weren't said around the dinner table. I couldn't believe some of the things a doctor could do. A person could suffer a severe heart attack, be an inch away from death, and be brought back to life by the hands of a doctor.

It is one thing to fantasize about becoming a doctor, but it is another to act upon that dream. Even if I end up changing career paths and decide against medical school, the education I will receive will be priceless because science impacts every aspect of one's life. By majoring in biological sciences, I will be able to finally take that first step into the great unknown that is my future, and I couldn't be more excited.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
buttercup321 1 / 3  
Are you sure you want to keep this? "It's not like I woke up one morning and said to myself, "I'm going to have a bowl of oatmeal and then embark on the long road to medical school."

I think it is a very good essay but you should maybe detail your interest in it a little more :)
Could you please look at mine?? it is the same topic as yours and maybe we could help each other out!
OP xcrunner095 1 / 3  
Thanks I will definitely add some more details. Anyone else?
norman2013 1 / 9  
Not once do you talk about why CALS is right for you.
I got rejected ED and I had very specific examples from the LEED buildings, study abroad to even a course I wanted to take.
Please, if you want to get in, talk about why Cornell? Not only why the major.
Karla281995 6 / 15 1  
Take out the contractions. Like It's

"Shining at the end of the tunnel" is a cliche try another phrase.

Don't repeat "that goal"

Personally, I like the part about a bowl of oatmeal. Colleges like settle humor. I think they'll want to see that you actually though long and hard about being a doctor.

Yet, there are a myriad of professions that one could chosechoose that involve science, math, and group participation.

In their careers as nurse.
I don't really understand that part. Did your parents have multiple careers or are you talking about both of your parents who are both nurses? I think it would be career as nurses. They only had one career.

Overall, I think this is a VERY well written essay. I think that you fully explained how science and math has influenced you to become a doctor. Great job. Take out the contractions!!

Best of luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Math and science/ Parents' nursing career; Cornell Sup; Interests/ experience