Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Mathematical breakthroughs" - intellectual interests, their evolution

leon_joel 4 / 2  
As far as I can remember, I had always enjoyed working with numbers. I love mathematics and I will like to pursue Mathematics in the College of Arts and Sciences. My keen interest in this major begun when through research I was able to discover the benefits of offering math as a major in the university. In my research, I was able to discover that offering Mathematics as major will provide a variety of career paths; also a study that was organized in 2009 indicated that the top three best jobs in terms of income and other factors were careers suited for math majors. Another recent survey shows that the top fifteen highest-earning college degrees have a common element: Mathematics. This research really inspired me to offer Mathematics as a major in the university. The mere idea of the opportunities/benefits, working with numbers and doing what I like best is an inspiration for me.

Tackling mathematics problems wherever I meet it was something many people did not really understand. I had a strong desire to confront any mathematics problem I find in any book and this sometimes feels so exciting when I finally make a mathematical breakthrough. Although trying to solve a problem does not always come with a success it helps me to know where I am and encourages me to do more.

Although there is no university possesses a faculty for success, I strongly believe that Cornell will serve as a large platform on which I will be to engage in research, study and other extracurricular activities that will also help in my intellectual development as a student. It will also provide a platform for me share my ideas with both teachers and students from all lifestyles. With the standard of diversity in the school, I will enable me to socialize, learn and participate in several other cultures, which will help others to learn my cultures. Secondly, with Cornell having a good professor and student ratio will serve as an opportunity for me to get extra assistance in area of study. With good counseling department and counselors, I can be corrected when I make wrong decisions, seek counseling in my area of study and teach me how to foster healthy relationship with other students. The mere fact that the school provides an opportunity for one to undertake a double major will help one to acquire knowledge and skills other majors as well.

Apart from my keen interest in mathematics, I am taking this major because I believe I will be able to fit into variety of careers. After four great knowledge and skills impartation from Cornell I hope to overshadow several other mathematics graduate from other institutions, secure a reputable career of my choice, help solve economic, social, make Mathematical breakthroughs and become a proud Cornell student.

Please help me edit my essay. corrections and ideas are all welcome.

Home / Undergraduate / "Mathematical breakthroughs" - intellectual interests, their evolution