"mathematics affinity" - FSU essay on values Vires, Artes, Mores

km0416 3 / -  
I am trying to respond to all 3 elements rather than simply address one

The personal statement is as vital to the application process as the form, transcript, and references. I hope to provide insights into my personality and character.

The Florida State University "Vires, Artes, Mores," challenges students to have strength, skill, and character. Though the motto expresses a fine sentiment I thought long and hard about the embodiment of these values in my life. Values should be more than simply a notion or theory, providing the basis for how we live our life. Serving as a mirror to the individual they reflect the character within. I once heard character defined as the things we do when there is no one present to notice.

Strength to me is taking a stand for what I believe in against those who disagree; though a point of view may be unpopular that should never be the reason to stop its pursuit. I am tenacious and enjoy a vigorous discussion about issues important to me: nothing great was ever accomplished without effort and discussion. Some people may support the liberal or the conservative side politically. While having my own opinion, I believe that an effective discussion acknowledges that one side can never be entirely right or entirely wrong. True strength is often found in letting another take the lead, letting another person dominate an issue or win a discussion where you would prevail takes far more strength. You are using personal strength to empower another.

Many would say that I have a skill for mathematics and a love of solving problems. Since I was a small child numbers have always fascinated me. Growing up the love of mathematics evolved. A mathematics affinity is not something we are born with as some believe. Like many worthwhile pursuits it is a skill that requires cultivation and effort; but I have always found the commitment satisfying. I have always been raised believing that each one of us has a gift, a skill. It may not be readily evident but it is there nonetheless. My stepfather, a teacher has always maintained that each person is gifted but some gifts lie waiting to be discovered. Throughout my life I have seen that this was true.

Character is often the most visible value; while it may take some effort to determine its depth the lack is painfully evident. Those with character are persons we want to emulate not because of wealth or fame. Their true quality is in the generosity of the time they willingly give to others while expecting nothing in return. There is no camera tracking their movements, no throng of adoring fans simply their outstretched hand lifting someone from the mud and a quiet reassuring voice saying "let me help you." These people work all day or spend hours in class only to hurry home, grab a bite and rush out to lend a hand whenever it is needed in a time of crisis. Thank you for this opportunity to respond to the importance of these values.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
The Florida State University motto "Vires, Artes, Mores," challenges students to have strength, skill, and character.

Nice job; you touch upon all three briefly and the paragraphs still flow together nicely.

Home / Undergraduate / "mathematics affinity" - FSU essay on values Vires, Artes, Mores