'mazes of monitors, wires, and other computer paraphernalia' - Why did I choose my major?

bisi766 1 / -  
Why did I choose my major/what led me to choose my major?

Hello! Thank you so much in advance for looking at my supplement. I did not include the name of the college I am applying to or the actual question, but the prompt is basically asking me what led me to choose my major/why did I choose my major. The essay can only be 300 words.

Growing up, mazes of monitors, wires, and other computer paraphernalia illuminated every corner of my dark, dull, basement. The intricacy and mysteriousness of computers mesmerized me, while the soft deep hum of computers comforted me. Oftentimes, my father would give me the haggard pieces from each computer to play with. Each piece offered a new experience that only furthered my infatuation with technology.

In fifth grade, I was exposed to a new world-the world of Apple Inc. Like many technology obsessed children, Apple's innovation and idealism enthralled me. I wanted to know everything about Apple, so I would spend my afternoons researching the history, products, and future of the company. Finally, on December 25, 2008, I received my first Apple product, a 16GB, second-generation, iPod Touch. Everything about the device was immaculate, from the incandescent, clear packaging to the crisp operating system. Apple introduced me to the beauty of technology, thus proving that technology could be efficient as well as aesthetically pleasing.

As I grew older, my curiosity for technology flourished. Fixing systematic errors within computers came naturally to me, and if I could not solve a problem, researching the solution over the Internet intrigued me. My penchant for computers and introverted nature reminded many people of my father, and people would often say that I was going to be a computer engineer like him. Suddenly, my passion became clear: technology

At [*university I am applying to], I plan to study computer science and economics. My dream is to create a tech startup that has a lasting effect on future generations. Whether I invent a new computer software or create a computer programming language, I want to leave the earth knowing I created something that left a positive impact on somebody's life, analogous to how my father and Apple influenced my life.

*Name of university I am applying to will be changed to actual university's name.
carine 1 / 3  
in your last paragraph maybe you should say how you will use the knowledge you gain in computer and economic to resolve worldwide problems...
you should be more specific on how the future generation will benefit from your dream and why do you think that is relevant to create a tech start up .
Adebisi, while your essay provides the reviewer with an interesting backgrounder regarding your interest, your interest in computers doesn't really resonate as something that would lead you to a serious career or academic path in that field. It is quite light in feel and could describe any typical computer user in this day and age. Mentioning Apple and the IPod was a good touch because it ties in with the basis for your interest in the field.

Would you mind considering adding some more information to the essay? Normally, when you are asked why you chose or what led you to choose a specific major, the reviewer will be looking for a connection that kind of leaves him wondering where your academic path will lead you next. I don't get a sense of that with this version of your essay.

What I suggest you do is this; develop a question or an idea that would have him go "I never thought of that!". Something along the questions Steve Jobs asked himself when he conceptualized the IPhone, "Why can't we have a device that does it all? Makes calls, texts, surfs the internet, takes pictures, acts as a navigation tool, etc." if you can provide the reviewer with a similar idea, concept, or question and then conclude with the expectation that you hope to find the answers or solve the enigma while you are a student at that university, then you will have properly developed the answer to your prompt.

Home / Undergraduate / 'mazes of monitors, wires, and other computer paraphernalia' - Why did I choose my major?