Meaningful Event (Leadership Seminar) - UF Essay

shuerger 1 / -  
Prompt: In the space provided, please write a concise narrative in which you describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your ideas about student responsibility, academic integrity, campus citizenship or a call to service.

In the summer of 2010, I learned what it meant to be sleep deprived. I woke up at 5:45 every morning and rarely got to sleep before 1. I could barely stay awake at breakfast in the dining hall, and wanted to pass out at dinner every day. I attended lectures, took notes, and made friends.

I was a delegate at the Seminar for Tomorrow's Leaders, or S4TL, at Florida Southern College for a week. S4TL was rigorous, fast paced seminar targeting students who excel academically and show leadership potential. One student per rotary club was sponsored and sent to live the life of a college student. Every minute of the day was planned. Delegates were assigned roommates and dormitories. The days of the workshop were assigned themes including personal growth, leadership, empowering others, and habits of success. Renowned speakers from all over the country gave lectures on various topics that fit the days' themes.

Before I went to S4TL, I was the typical high school nerd. I got A's in all my classes, rarely spoke to anyone that I didn't know, and kept quiet during class discussions. I'm ranked third in my class, and while other students recognized that I was smart, they never realized my full academic potential. At S4TL, being shy simply was not an option. You were there to learn and figure out what life is like in the real world.

I got over the sleep deprivation after the first few days. While sitting through lectures half awake was not ideal, I really enjoyed listening. The pivotal moment, however, was the final night there. We were to write letters to ourselves and to people who were special to us, either asking or granting forgiveness. The counselors at S4TL had been talking about the activity all week, and that night I understood why. Being that open with yourself is a difficult thing to do, especially in a room full of people you'd just met. I didn't even get to the first line of my first letter before I got emotional, and by the end of the night everyone had shed a tear or two.

S4TL, like college, changes everything about you. Your views of life, as well as school, are completely different. I became a completely different person. Gone was the girl who never spoke and didn't have many friends. In her place was an ambitious, outgoing, intelligent 18-year-old who loved learning, life, and wanted to make the biggest positive impact that she could. Attending the University of Florida would give that girl a chance to fulfill those goals, as well as a life dream.

Please review and edit! Feel free to give criticism - I'm aware that my essay writing skills are not the best and I'm looking to improve them greatly! I wasn't sure if this would be an appropriate topic and if the paragraphs flowed.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
The "you" in the beginning of the essay is totally different from the one at the end!!

The pivotal moment, however, was the final night there. We were to write letters to ourselves and to people who were special to us, either asking or granting forgiveness. The counselors at S4TL had been talking about the activity all week, and that night I understood why. Being that open with yourself is a difficult thing to do, especially in a room full of people you'd just met. I didn't even get to the first line of my first letter before I got emotional, and by the end of the night everyone had shed a tear or two.

What was the most difficult about writing the letter asking or granting forgiveness? Why did this affect you so mcuh? Was this the first time you had to be honest and open to yourself in front of other people? (you don't mention that you had to share the letter with others.)

Also, don't forget to answer the second part of the prompt:
how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your ideas about student responsibility, academic integrity, campus citizenship or a call to service.

Home / Undergraduate / Meaningful Event (Leadership Seminar) - UF Essay