'MEDICAL BRIGADES' - UC Transfer App - Intended Major

mtph 2 / 5  
Prompt: What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement.

Medical Brigades
My decision to pursue an education in health sciences is a choice that I am sincerely pleased and passionate about. My motivation to pursue an education in this field is derived from a few personal experiences, as well as the realization that as an individual, I have the potential to create a positive difference in an individual's life. A majority of my inspiration comes from my own mother. As a hairdresser, she labors for ten hours a day in order to make ends meet for our family of six. With my father out of a job, it is apparent that my family is not the wealthiest. Despite this fact, my mother still manages to frequently donate to charities and to the poor out of the warmth of her own heart. Having been raised by a woman as selfless as my mother, there is not a doubt in my mind that inhibits me from making a career out of what I have witnessed her doing my whole life.

As cliché as it sounds, I indubitably had my heart set on a career goal at an early age. My mother would frequently purchase videos from our church that portrayed mission trips to third-world countries and I would find myself curled up on the couch watching them with her. I thought the concept of these trips was amazing and after paying a visit to Viet Nam the summer before my sophomore year of high school, I was able to see the reality of third-world countries. From that moment on, I knew I wanted to seek out a profession that would help those living in poverty. I have since made efforts to be proactive in the health field by volunteering in hospitals, taking up internships and participating in clubs on campus.

One particular club that I am thrilled about is a newly established chapter of Medical Brigades on my college campus. Medical Brigades, a branch off the non-profit organization Global Brigades, aims to target countries where access to health care is limited. Although I have been affiliated with the organization for only a few months, I have developed a strong appreciation for their mission statement. Medical Brigades plans to mobilize thousands of student volunteers over the next five years on 7-10 day trips to Honduras, Panama and Ghana in an effort to relieve the strong need for health care in rural areas. As volunteers, students have the opportunity to shadow licensed doctors and assist license pharmacists during their stay.

My involvement in Medical Brigades has opened my eyes and helped me view my world from a different perspective. I appreciate the smaller things in life a great deal more now than ever before and I try to donate to non-profit organizations whenever I can. Since my involvement, I have gained friendships with amazing people who share the same interests as I do and I look forward to chances to potentially collaborate with these individuals. What Medical Brigades wishes to accomplish is a mission I hope to achieve with my own career in the future. I look forward to one day be able to travel on these mission trips and I am overjoyed that I have the privilege of becoming a part of this remarkable movement.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to those who take the time to read this.
idyllistic 1 / 2  
It is abundantly clear that you answered each of the components of the transfer prompt. However, excuse my ignorance, I get the impression that you want health science as your intended major; is it a major? :P ~ At any rate, I absolutely love it. It flows very well, with a minor punctuation errors: "My motivation to pursue an education in this field is derived from a few personal experiences, as well as the realization that, as an individual, I have the potential to create a positive difference in an individual's life." This may seem like a run-on sentence without the comma. In fact, your response is full of long sentences. You may want to have some variation, but it's only a mere observation, nothing critical. :]

Concisely, this is what I understand:
Intended Major ~ health science
Development ~ through your mother and her charitable heart
Involvement ~ Medical Brigade and their mission statement
Your gain ~ friendships with people that shares the same interest

If this is what you're trying to get across, congratulations! Well done!

Good luck with your application!!! I'm currently writing mine as well ~ so late, so stressed D:
OP mtph 2 / 5  
Thanks for the help! In regards to your question about health sciences being a major or not-- you are correct, it is NOT a specific major. However, because I am applying to many different UC campuses, most of them do NOT have the same major. I am not a typical Bio Sci student. I am actually looking to major in something more health related because that is what is asked from the graduate school I plan on applying to. So, with that said, I figured generally stating that I am interested in health sciences was the best way to approach this prompt. Thank you for your concern though. Good luck with your apps as well!

Home / Undergraduate / 'MEDICAL BRIGADES' - UC Transfer App - Intended Major