"I can meet the academic challenges of American" reasons for transferring and goals

waikin 3 / 10  
My reasons for transferring are almost entirely academic. Despite loving my country, Malaysia to bits, I do not love the education here. Most students here eventually will go study overseas to have a better education. I choose United States mainly it resembles my country the most compared to United Kingdom or Australia. Malaysia like United States is also a multiracial country consists of mainly Malays, Chinese, and Indians. So as a Chinese, there is definitely some racism issue but I was grateful that the generations that I am with are more open-minded so I able to mix well with other races.

Back to educational issue, my time spent in my high school was bad and that might even be an understatement. Most teachers come late during classes and sometimes they didn't even appear at all. To make matters worse, some of them did not even finish the syllabus before my final exam. Luckily for me, things went better during college. The lecturers have been more helpful towards me but I struggle a bit during that time because I did not have some basics that I should have acquired during high school. I have made many good friends at Malaysia, and I have studied with some wonderful professors but I want to challenge myself to experience places that I am not quite so familiar.

What got me interested in majoring in business is because of my dad, Low Chan Kee. He was not born with a golden spoon. He has to stop studying when he was just 11 because of financial problems in the family. He had to work in the oil palm plantation from 5am to 6pm everyday so that he and his family can have some food. He started from the very bottom to own some oil palm plantation of his own now. He proves to me that it does not matter how you start, but how you finish. My goal is that one day I will be at least a half a man that my father is.

As my transcript shows, I have done pretty well and I am convinced I can meet the academic challenges of American University. I know I would grow at there, and your program perfectly matches my academic interests and professional goals.

*250 words is the minimum so i not sure about whether i should write a longer essay than this. is this essay good enough? I am a international student transferring from malaysia.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
Hi Mr. Low,
Other than looking for better academics in general, write abit about why business. Have you already taken business courses? Add in something about the business program you are applying to (in the specific university.) The app comms won't be impressed with just a generic comm app about why you want to transfer to the US (for democracy in schooling.) You will have to show more of yourself as a person. Talk about what you learnt from you dad working on the oil plantation. Did you ever hlep him? What made him successful (besides hard work) - what inspires you the most?

And SPECIFICALLY how is this answered by the school you are applying to? Give examples! Talk about specific curriculum or professors that you want to take classes from.
OP waikin 3 / 10  
OMG, you are so right. And are you suggesting that I should talk about professors and curriculum of the universities that I am applying into? By the way, my friend suggested that I should drop the part about my dad because it focus too much on him and basically tell nothing about me. Common app also said that the min is 250 words so I am planning to do a revised version of this of around 500 words, is that ok?

Home / Undergraduate / "I can meet the academic challenges of American" reasons for transferring and goals