"Mei Mei" UT Prompt - Influential/Important Person

TaiwanPanda 1 / -  
Mei Mei (Little Sister)

I used to believe that being an only child was difficult, that life would be much more enjoyable with a sibling or two. More than often, I would find myself trapped in a corner by the constantly pounding words from my parents, or in the silent confines of my room, quietly completing homework assignments. After all, I was taught to keep to myself, to avoid any distractions. For many years, I went about life minding my own business, a solo act per se. But in the most crucial point of my high school career, I was introduced to someone that would, not only help me realize the best of both worlds, but also inspire me to be more diligent and outgoing than ever before. Her name is Su, but I call her Mei Mei.

Su and I have some similarities, such as fairly strict parents and nearly identical personalities; but it is our differences that allow us to learn from each other. Unlike me, Su is not an only child, nor does she have the luxury of driving a car to school. Instead, she takes a series of buses to school every morning, being careful as to not fall asleep in fear of missing a stop. As the oldest sibling in her family, Su takes on quite a bit of responsibility. She occasionally assists her parents at Chinadoll which is a small Asian restaurant that is owned and operated by her family. Despite the tiresome nature of her tasks, she always completes them with a fairly positive mindset. "Secret missions", she calls them. Whether it's helping her brother take a bath, running at a track meet, or making egg rolls for her family restaurant, she handles each "secret mission" wholeheartedly.

From time to time, Su incorporates me in her "secret missions", asking for some SAT guidance, or relationship advice. I happily give her some pointers, and sometimes, sarcastically ask for egg rolls in return. Through my experience with her, I have learned the importance of having someone who can lend a hand, and that not all things must be done alone. Over the years, Su has become like a sister to me; hence the name, Mei Mei. The very thought of having a friend like Su compels me to elevate my standards, to achieve the greater distance.

As for the future, it's impossible to predict what may appear; no matter how great the obstacles may be, or however long they may take, I will always keep in mind her virtue of perseverance and step up to the occasion without contempt. Aside from pursuing future goals, I must also continue working hard to be a good role model for Su, just as she has been to me. And Although I would hardly consider such tasks to be "secret missions", I can't help but smile every time I complete a "secret mission" of my own.

Any ideas for improvements? Thanks (:
RyanVi16 12 / 91  
I think it is a well written essay, there nothing much i can add to improve

I would find myself trapped in the corner from my parents' constant pounding words

She occasionally assists her parents at Chinadoll,which is a small Asian restaurant that is owned and operated by her family.
sarcastically ask for egg rolls in return.

Great detail... this is nice to read. I mean the whole essay, not just this part, ha ha...

And Although I would... no need to capitalize that A

I used to believe that being an only child was difficult, that life would be --- this part makes it seem like your experience showed you that you were wrong... (i.e. used to think) Maybe you should slightly change the way that sentence is worded. :-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Mei Mei" UT Prompt - Influential/Important Person