memories of Christmas holiday in 2004

xcorat 2 / 2  
plz check this and correct if possible...!

Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are? *

As much as anybody, I too cannot forget the unpleasant memories of Christmas holiday in 2004. Apart from leaving those tragic memories though, the horrific tsunami has helped me better understand who I am and what should my role in the society be. Struck by the enormity of the destruction, I immediately joined the Tsunami Relief Work Force, assembled by a major political party(JVP) in the country. From nearly 500 people, I was the only person who was not a member of that party, and in fact, I did not know anybody in that group. By the end of the first day, most of the people I worked with knew me by my name, and in the second day, I was the person to count and lead when we were lifting a boat, a vehicle, heavy debris, or when we found a human body. This was partly because my loud voice but mostly because others admired my confidence and were eager to followed me. I was recognized as a leader.

Since then, I have taken many responsibilities as a leader. Serving as the president of the '2004 Batch Past Student Society' of the school I was able to help to launch the website for the school through the society, and also planned to launch a magazine that would help students who have limited access to resources.

In the first year of the university in Sri Lanka, I lead two projects related to engineering coursework. In the second year, I was elected as the editor of the Engineering Faculty Student Union. As one of the five office bearers, my responsibilities included solving matters of the second year student community, organizing art-related events and getting support from the engineering community for these events. Even though it was hard to keep-up with academics with all those work, I was able to keep it balanced. Observing the services of the canteens, hostels, health center and cleaning services, we were able to keep the campus services at the best. Academic standards of the university too was included in my responsibilities and thus, compelled me to interface the professional engineering bodies of the country with university student community.

For me, the most important part of my life was my role as a leader. It has given me a lot of experience and has helped me stand-up as an independent individual who can both co-operate with and guide others.
nevabressler - / 20  
I cannot forget the unpleasant memories of Christmas holiday in 2004.

...and what my role in society should be.

This was partly because of my loud voice, but mostly because others admired my confidence and were eager to follow me. I was recognized as a leader.

In the first year at the university in Sri Lanka, (which university?) I led two projects related to engineering coursework.

Even though it was hard to keep-up with academics with all this work,...

we were able to keep the campus services at their best.

Academic standards of the university were also included in my responsibilities and thus,...

For me, the most important parts of my life have been my role as a leader.
First line:

Like anybody else who was affected by the Tsunami that hit in 2004, I can never forget...

At the end, get rid of the phrase, "For me":

The most important part of my life was my role as a leader.

Nice job! See Neva's suggestions above, in addition to mine.

Home / Undergraduate / memories of Christmas holiday in 2004