Memories; Stanford - What Matters to you most and why?

hereiam 1 / 4 1  
What matters to me?
I live in the present, but sometimes I am afraid of letting go of the past. My grandfather's recent passing was the first time I have dealt with death and I had trouble handling it. Initially I was overwhelmed with grief; the wise man who had played a role in my upbringing and instilled the values I cherish today was gone. I spent hours lying in my bead, staring at the ceiling, and trying to find a memory to cling to; that would honor him and serve as something I could forever remember him by. I was searching for some sort of single monumental event that would sum up our relationship, and I could not. It took time, but I realized the memories that really matter are the little things- The afternoons spitting cherry seeds from his balcony, the mornings making oatmeal for my grandma, and the early evening rounds of pool. What matter to me are what at times seem like the tiniest most insignificant moments, but eventually come to define our relationships with the people we love. My 'Pops,' had told me that when I grew old, all I would regret in life would be things I had not tried, the risks I had not taken, assuming they were sane and legal he used to joke. I go through life taking advantage of all the opportunities I have, appreciating every moment. I am open minded to new ideas, new foods, new people all the while crafting the memories I will one day come to treasure.
thkid 3 / 7 1  
A nice essay but it needs a deeper vocabulary.

My 'Pops,' had told me that when I grew old, all I would regret in life would be things I had not tried, the risks I had not taken, assuming they were sane and legal he used to joke. I go through life taking advantage of all the opportunities I have, appreciating every moment. I am open minded to new ideas, new foods, new people all the while crafting the memories I will one day come to treasure.

... "when I grow old".... "that I should go through life"
It has a good structure, but the vocabulary upgrade is needed.
Best wishes and condolences to your grandfather.
OP hereiam 1 / 4 1  
thkid
thanks a lot I couldn't agree more, this was written rather quickly in a twenty minute period last night. I'm trying to decide if it works as an appropriate answer to the question at hand.
OP hereiam 1 / 4 1  
I live in the present, but sometimes I am afraid of letting go of the past. My grandfather's recent passing was the first time I have dealt with death and I had trouble handling it. Initially I was overwhelmed with grief; the wise man that had played a role in my upbringing and instilled the values I cherish today was gone. I spent hours lying in my bead, staring at the ceiling, and trying to find a memory to cling to; a moment I could encapsulate that would honor him and serve as something I could forever remember him by. I was searching for some sort of single monumental event that would sum up our relationship, but I could not. It took time, but I realized the memories that really matter are the little things- The afternoons spitting cherry seeds from his balcony, the mornings making oatmeal for my grandma, our walks and early evening rounds of pool. I realized that what matters to me are what at times seem like the tiniest most insignificant moments, but eventually come to define our relationships with the people we love. My 'Pops,' had told me that when I grow old, all I would regret in life would be things I had not tried, the risks I had not taken, assuming they were sane and legal he used to joke. It is in great part thanks to him that I try to go through life taking advantage of all the opportunities I have, appreciating every moment. I am open minded to new ideas, new foods, new people, new adventures, all the while unconsciously storing memories I will one day come to treasure.

I updated it. Any new thoughts? I appreciate any feedback and will surely go over your stuff. thanks
college134nj - / 44 7  
well... memories are conscious... are they not???

Home / Undergraduate / Memories; Stanford - What Matters to you most and why?