"Mentoring, tutoring, and fundraising" extracurricular activities or work experiences

Chrisknanfi 1 / 1  
The Theory of Perception

Mentoring, tutoring, and fundraising of all kinds are particularly rewarding activities. As an extension of these roles, I work for what most perceive to be a bitter, old woman.

I was asked by my church leader to help an elderly parishioner with odd jobs around her house. I was hesitant when given the name and address because this woman is known by the church youth to be mean spirited. I went and what should have been a one-time favor is now an every other day undertaking. Aside from chores, I engage in playing board games, reading and simply conversing. Now she awaits my visits exuberantly.

Through this experience, I discovered that people of all ages have plenty in common and learned to adjust my perceptions of the intentions of others. Most of all, I have built an everlasting friendship and confirmed my love of people.
appleantics55 1 / 5  
maybe instead of satisfying in the first sentence, use the word rewarding?
I feel as though the second sentence is a little awkward and unclear. try something along the lines of, "Volunteering to help, what most perceived to be a bitter and old woman, further emphasized this gratification"

mean spirited. Aside from chores, I engage in playing board games, reading and simply conversing.

You need a transition between these two sentences.

I notice how happy she is to see me. What should have been a one-time favor is now an every other day undertaking.

You can definitely combine these two sentences

I discovered that people are different but not that different

rephrase this, try not to use the word different twice, and make this more meaningful..you want the reader to know why exactly you chose this activity, so let them know what it means to you that you helped this lady out.

expand on what you think the qualities of a healthcare professionals are.
OP Chrisknanfi 1 / 1  
OK, Thank you so much for these suggestions. This is exactly 150 words. How can I do as suggested and not add more words?
appleantics55 1 / 5  
well first, I think you should edit what you have according to my suggestions that you agree with. Then do a word count, and we can see what to do from there
I like this a lot more than the first one. I just want to change the beginning:
Mentoring, tutoring, and fundraising of all kinds are particularly rewarding activities. As an extension of these roles, I work for someone what most perceive to be a bitter, old woman.

Nice! This theme makes it interesting. It's too bad it has to be so short. You have a nice writing style.

Home / Undergraduate / "Mentoring, tutoring, and fundraising" extracurricular activities or work experiences