"until I met Victoria" - Essay about changing as a person.

hmahsum6 1 / -  
It's amazing how many "best friends" I've had to go through in my life. I grew up believing that I would have one best friend for life, after all that is what we are meant to believe in this society. I was devastated when I had to accept the truth for what it truly was. Friendship is precious but not always easy to find. Finding that one special person whom I can refer to as a "best friend" took me years to come across. At least now, I know for a fact that I can call it a true friendship that won't shatter. But of course it required me to get hurt and go through some breakups.

Third grade is when this all began, after I had moved. I had a new start with everything. The day I met Britney my life turned upside down. She quickly became my best friend. I've never had a best friend before so it was all new to me. We swore nothing would break us apart. At the end of fourth grade, my mom told me we were moving again. When I told Britney, she said we would still be the best friends and that it didn't matter how far apart we lived. I believed that for a while. When I tried calling her she wouldn't respond or make up some lame excuse. Time went by and I had a feeling things would never be the same. I went one way she went the other and we haven't spoke since. A promise is not always a promise, I've learned.

Starting fifth grade was not the same. The first day of school was the most miserable day of my life. It seemed like everyone knew each other and I was the outcast. No one wanted to be my friend. Days like this went by, I felt depressed. Until one day we had a new student Jessica. We started to hit it off very easily. Before I knew it, we were best friends. We talked everyday and I knew nothing could go wrong. When we got to middle school everything changed. Jessica started talking to me less and less. And before I knew it she had abandoned me for her new "cooler friends". I didn't know what to do; I've been hurt again.

Not much time went by when I met Libby. I quickly jumped into a friendship, and I started believing it would last. My other friends had told me that she was not a true friend and that she would say hurtful things behind my back, but I just ignored them and told them they were jealous. During our friendship she would be rude to my face when she was pissed, but I would just lay it aside, I didn't want to be alone again. Starting high school, I found out that Libby has been telling everyone that we were never best friends and that she never even liked me. This time I couldn't hold in my tears any longer. I was done with all the drama going on at school and started being less social around people.

It wasn't until I met Victoria that my life actually started during around again in a positive way. She was different than all the other "best friends" I've had, even though we weren't friends for too long. When I talked to her, I could tell her anything and she wouldn't look down on me or tell anyone. Telling her something was like writing in a diary because I knew she was the type of person who wouldn't spread the word. Going through unsuccessful friendships has helped me find the perfect one. Even though it took years to find what I was looking for, but at last I can say, I've found what was missing in my life. Going through those tough years has definitely helped me change as a person and stay strong.
CollegeFlowers7 6 / 5  
I think the best friend essay topic is wonderful!! I enjoyed how you went through each friend and I think it all sums up to show how much each friend meant to you and how you felt when you had to let go of a few.
Lizzy9311 2 / 4  
It wasn't until I met Victoria that my life actually started during around again in a positive way. - What are you trying to say here?

This is a pretty good essay, I like it.
Third grade is when this all began, after I had moved. I had a new start with everything. this part is very discouraging to the reader, like when someone breaks out the photo album and starts to show you all the pictures that ever were taken.

This is a better beginning to that second paragraph:
The day I met Britney my life turned upside down. She quickly became my best friend. I've I had never had a best friend before, so it was all new to me.

Here is another place you need to use that past perfect verb tense:
Not much time went by when I met Libby.
Not much time had gone by when I met Libby.

Here at the end, this is not very meaningful: "...helped me change as a person and stay strong." ---I think you can dig a little deeper and make an observation that will help a lot of people gain insight into friendship. You write very well, but I think near the beginning and end of the essay you should write a sentence that clearly expresses the main concept you are sharing.

:-)
read 1 / 6  
after all that is what we are meant to believe in this society.
kinda vague and not really true(?)

When I tried calling her she wouldn't respond or make up some lame excuse.
gives off a bitter tone, maybe "Unfortunately, things didn't turn out as I expected." just so it's not too negative

i like that it's really heartfelt :) but in a college essay you shouldn't use words like "pissed" or "lame"

make it a little more formal :)

Home / Undergraduate / "until I met Victoria" - Essay about changing as a person.