Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Mexican-American in the land of opportunity" -Adapations in a New World- UC

kobe08 2 / 3  
rompt #1 Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations. word limit 500

"America is the land of opportunity." A cliché which many have found to be untrue, at least in the literal sense. My family immigrated to America in 2001 searching for that alluring opportunity which till this day remains a mystery, hiding- possibly within the folds of an education. Upon my arrival here from Pakistan, a few months prior to the 9-11 attacks, I was deemed, at least from a societal perspective an "Indian" or if I was lucky, some would refer to me as a "Mexican-American." This displacement in society allowed me to blend in however, the horrendous attacks of the extremists allowed society and its ignorant individuals to dub me as a "Terrorist." This hurt. I was 9 going on to be 10. I didn't know what a terrorist was yet here I was, standing within the circle of peers, getting pierced by their darts, day-after-day, year-after-year. This, fortunately, would soon change and the transition would become easier as each day progressed and we soon became, " Pakistani- Americans."

The initial struggle of economic instability, racial discrimination, language barrier and religious identity were all cleared and a new path towards a healthy, more opportunistic life would develop for me as my parents would go on to stress the need for an education in order to fulfill not only their wishes and aspirations but mine also. A world class education was hard to come by living in Pakistan according to my father who earnestly urged me to utilize the necessary resources to reach the top. I would take these comments and aspire to become a prospective UC student, seeking to acquire an insight into the world in which we reside in

I was always bred to pursue a career in Law, however acquaintance with the works of Albert Camus, in particular, "The Fall", changed my perspective on both life itself and professions. He writes, " The avidity which in our society is a substitute for ambition has always made me laugh;" implying that one should aspire to partake in fields of interests without regards to monetary incentives, rather, with regards to passion and ardor. Although my dreams and aspirations were affected in large part by economic uncertainty, an insight into Camus' works would serve to be the tipping point of my realization regarding my love for assisting others, which in all honesty is due to my desire to rise to that " supreme summit where virtue is its own reward" ( Camus, "The Fall").

America is still the land of opportunity. With bettering conditions, one's philosophical mindset on life changes and so did my family's. However, I must never become oblivious of the land I called home. The land that united my family. The land that protected my family during hostility. The land that under the wavering Green and White Flag, continues to be a part of my life. Although educational opportunities there were limited, my cultural values, principles and fervency to assist others were molded in the land I called Home.

Please critique my essay in a constructive manner. Thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / "Mexican-American in the land of opportunity" -Adapations in a New World- UC