short essay of Michiagan : social or cultural difference

justinwang 10 / 28  
Share an experience through which you have gained respect for intellectual, social, or cultural differences. Comment on how your personal experiences and achievements would contribute to the diversity of the University of Michigan.

In the summer of junior 2, I went to Australia as an exchange student for two weeks. During the two weeks, I lived in the host family. The host family was very friendly to me and I quickly felt home in Australia, except one thing, I could not bath freely.

One day, I was covered in sweat after playing football. Then, I went home and had a shower of twenty minutes. After bathing, the host, Mr. Smith said to me, "Wang, it is a very good habit to bath every day. However, could you please limit the time for shower in 5 minutes?"

"Why?" I asked, "Water is not expensive. It is very relaxing to bath." "I do not care much about money. I just care about water." Mr. said seriously. He explained that Australia is a water shortage country, so every Australian citizen tried to save water. Then he told me different ways to save energy. Understanding the reason of the shower limits, I felt guilty. China is a water shortage country too; however, I wasted much water in the past. I decided to learn from the life style of Australian and become an environmentalist. Now, I always take a quick shower in 4 minutes. Although I lose the pleasure of shower, I am proud of saving water.

Through this experience, I have gained appreciation not only for the ecologically friendly lifestyles of Australian, but for all healthy life styles. In the same time, I was engaged in learning from them and promoting the concepts of them to people, including people of Michigan University.

Please give me some advice about the essay. I do not know if I have answered the question clearly. :)

One of my friend said that "through which you have gained respect for intellectual, social, or cultural differences" meant that I was respect because of my social difference. However I think it means that I respect for social difference.
In the summer of junior 2, I went to Australia as an exchange student for two weeks. I lived in the host family, the members of which were very friendly to me, and I quickly felt at home in Australia -- except one thing: I could not bath freely.

"Why?" I asked. He answered seriously: "Water is not expensive. It is very relaxing to bath. I do not care much about money. I just care about water."

Although I lose the pleasure of relaxing in the shower, I am proud of saving water.

Great job!!! This is a cool idea for an essay!

Home / Undergraduate / short essay of Michiagan : social or cultural difference