U of Michigan - book essay

marvykigs 2 / 3  
Please review - I want to send this in soon. Thanks!

[C] Tell us about a book you have read that you found especially challenging, stimulating, or provocative. Explain why it made an impact on you.

It sat on my shelf months after my birthday, gathering dust as I found excuse after excuse not to read it. The length of the title alone averted me: The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey. Bo-ring.

Only after a particularly bad day did I realize I was not being an effective teen-I couldn't reach any goals I set for myself, my grades were dropping and I was having constant arguments with my mom. I decided to read the dreaded book, but cynically thought it would be no good. I was in for a shock; I could not put the book down and hungrily devoured every word. It felt like an ice cold shower after a scorching summer day. Boy, it was electrifying.

The Habits, in order, were Be Proactive, Begin with the End in Mind, Put First Things First, Think Win-Win, Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood, Synergize, and Sharpen the Saw. At the end of every chapter, there were 'Baby Steps' to help one get in the habit. The author also suggested keeping a Personal and a Relationship Bank Account (PBA and RBA). Every time I achieved a goal, succeeded at school, or kept a promise to myself, I could deposit credit into my PBA. Every time I performed small acts of kindness, volunteered, or stood up for someone, I deposited credit into my RBA.

I began with minor goals, such as waking up on time in the morning, and deposited small amounts. As I got better at keeping promises to myself, I made progressively larger deposits. By working diligently at my studies and working late into the night on projects, I baby-stepped my way into a higher grade point average. Every time I received an A, I made a generous deposit, and at the end of the year, when I received the Award for Best Student in the class, wham!-I put one fat paycheck into my PBA.

Similarly, I worked hard to build strong relationships with those around me. As my mom and I hadn't been getting along very well, I decided to baby step by doing small acts around the house: I took out the trash without being asked, made my mom's bed while she was in the shower, I even cooked meals when she felt tired. When she asked about my day, I gave a full, detailed account, and then asked about hers. When we had arguments, I took into consideration Habit 4 - Think Win-Win, and made sure we were both happy with the final decision. Step by step, our relationship grew stronger, and soon enough, we were the best of friends. My RBA was brimming. Success!

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens truly was a life changing read. I worked hard to practice the seven habits, and saw major results as I succeeded at school and built strong relationships. Today, I consider myself a PBA and RBA millionaire, a hardworking student, my mother's best friend, and an overall highly effective teen.
yang 2 / 313  
no good. I was

transition? After a few pages maybe?

wham!

putting those interjections make your essay sound baby-like. they don't really convey effect much anyway...o i take that back, you talk a lot about baby steps. nice thinking

highly effective

tone down a bit? when you praise yourself too highly, the reader has tendency to disregard your accomplishments

overall, not bad. It reflects on your personality, your struggles, and your logical approach to problems. i think this is ready for submission!

what major are you applying for? I applied there as Early notification economics major.
OP marvykigs 2 / 3  
Thanks for correcting! I'll definitely take it into consideration before submitting. I'm applying Regular Decision for an English major.
yang 2 / 313  
english...wow, no wonder you write so well!

from your writing, i'm 80% sure that you'll get in (unless you bombed classes)...so good luck and don't worry!

Home / Undergraduate / U of Michigan - book essay