Michigan Engineering Essay (the field of aerospace engineering)

lonelysnakr 3 / 7  
Please describe your interests and aspirations in engineering. What experiences have influenced you?

In an essay of 300 words or less, please discuss your academic interests and/or professional goals.

My academic interests lie in the field of aerospace engineering. This interest came about as a result of various experiences I had in my childhood and teenage years.

My interest in Engineering started way back as a young boy where I enjoyed playing with model and construction kits. As I grew older, I progressed to more advanced "Toys" that involved the use of tools, motors and sensors. This sparked my curiosity and made me an inquisitive person. Naturally, this made me a good problem solver, which led to my heightened ability in both mathematics and

science, especially physics.

In my teenage years, I attended my first air show in Singapore, the Asian Aerospace Show. It was an eye opener for me looking at different types of planes ranging from military fighters to commercial airliners. After that, the dream of working with aircraft started to form in my mind.

After graduating from junior college, I was enlisted in the SAF (Singapore Armed Forces) to serve my compulsory national service. Upon completion of BMT (Basic Military Training), by a stroke of luck, I was posted to the RSAF (Republic of Singapore Air Force) to serve as a technical specialist. Before I was a qualified specialist, I had to undergo courses on fixed wing aircraft and electro-mechanical engineering. Now I deal with aircraft maintenance as well as other ground support equipment on an everyday basis.

These experiences I had as in my childhood, teenage years and military service have fuelled my passion in working with aircraft.

Since the UMich engineering department is well known for producing many successful aerospace engineers, I believe that this would be a very suitable place for me to pursue my ambition of becoming an aerospace engineer. The undergraduate aerospace engineering program offered in UMich would be able equip me the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in this field of engineering and subsequently contribute to the future of aircraft development and the aviation industry as a whole.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
This is fine, though a bit dull. It's OK for engineering essays to be dull, but you still might want to make it more interesting by featuring an anecdote or image concerning some aspect of aerospace engineering that is especially fascinating to you.

Home / Undergraduate / Michigan Engineering Essay (the field of aerospace engineering)