U Michigan Setback essay ("departed from high school since graduation")

JHazuresky 1 / 2  
I am a foreign student and need much critical feedback on grammar and content. And also please help me cut some words unnecessary. My essay way exceed the 500 words limit.

And it's kinda urgent for the deadline.

Please help me revise my essay. I will appreciate all of your great helps to me! Thank you!

Prompt

[A] Describe a setback that you have faced. How did you resolve it? How did the outcome affect you? If something similar happened in the future, how would you react?

--------------

I was about to start memorizing the next two hundred words on my vocabulary list. Suddenly, the lamp went off, the noise of the refrigerator was dead, and even the streetlights stopped streaming through my window. A blackout fell upon the house. I spoke a word aloud, but no one in my family answered me---they won't back from work yet. I was home alone, always,

from day to night, from summer to winter.

Today was the two hundred and sixth day that I had been departed from high school since graduation, June 1st.

I had to be alone. As an immigrant from China in the October of my senior year, and as a Chinese student who could just barely speak simple English at that time, I postponed my college life in order to improve my English. However, this decision led undesirable consequences. Friends did not understand me; parents quarreled with me; relatives doubted me: some inquired me, and some felt disappointed and thought this child was destroyed. I not only departed from school, but also departed from my familiar world. I eventually began to question my ability to work independently without teacher and school. The world seemed to be collapsing around me.

The lonely journey started. I was anxious and uncertain, but I was also determined to prove not only to my family but also to myself that I can achieve my goal. I lacked textbooks, so I bought books from store and borrowed literatures in state public library. I lacked teachers to ask, so I sit alone at home to read and reread the passage, and I also memorized hundreds of vocabulary every day, from daily life words to literary words on Barron's 3500 word list, despite these words annoyingly haunted in my dream. I feared laziness, like the experience I had on long vacation before, so I arranged a schedule that detailed from morning to night, including the "classes" I took every day, and I also set up alarm clocks on cell phone to wake me up on standard school time... Suddenly do I realized that my electronic dictionary were left aside when I was reading, that I became no more stranger among native friends and they were willing to call me, and that I overcame the loneliness. I discovered the unique but right path to sail forward.

The ring bell of my cell phone pulled me back to the blackout. I picked up the phone and opened the door. The scene amazed me: in darkness, the candles lit by other families were blinking like beautiful stars, which I could never see at other normal electronically charged nights. So do my life. I consider the lessons that I gained from my lonely journey to be meaningful that I could not learn in bright school life. The loneliness taught me self-confidence to defend my choices and strive for my goal. By resisting doubts from my relatives and persisting in my path of studying English, I found my learning process more efficient that I could learn what I most need to improve. The journey assisted me in getting rid of idleness and acquiring strong self-control ability. Instead of sitting stably in the darkness, I now understand the importance of poking around the darkness to seek the beauty that hidden only behind a door. I will no more fear loneliness, but to continue this journey in the next six months to practice my English, and to recognize more hidden beauty in the darkness.
jucks0r 3 / 6  
I was about to start memorizing the next two hundred words on my vocabulary list.Suddenly, the lamp went off, the noise of the refrigerator was dead, and even the feeble stream of streetlights stopped piercing through my window. A blackout fell upon the house (or seized the house). I spoke a word out loud, but no one in my family answered me---they weren't back from work yet. I was home alone, always, from day to night, from summer to winter. I hated darkness, and I hated this darkness for awakening the loneliness in the depths of my mind.

There is a start for you :D sorry I couldn't read further for I am working on the same essays too and the deadline is tomorrow !! good luck :)

I think its a nice start that interests the reader, but is the rest actually related with you being alone at home ? consider that
hope this helps
OP JHazuresky 1 / 2  
This is awesome! You find so many problems in my essay. Thank you for the start!

Hope you do good on the essay, too!

Anyone have more feedbacks will be appreciated!
jakethesnake312 1 / 2  
Good Luck, seems like all of us are applying to Michigan last minute. I think i'm actually about to submit, but goodluck
How about: streetlights stopped streaming through...

It sounds nice that way, with a "st"alliteration. And "pierce" implies "through," so "pierce through" is sort of redundant.

A blackout fell on my home. I spoke a word aloud , but no one in my family answered me -- none of them would be back from work earlier than ten o'clock. I was alone at home, always, from day to night, from summer to winter. I hate darkness, and I hated this particular darkness for awakening the loneliness in the depths of my mind.

...and as a Chinese student who could just barely speak the very simple English...

The world seemed to be collapsing...

You can shorten this by taking out unnecessary words, like this:

The "war" started on the graduation day.

You can also shorten it by taking out some of this:

It made me felt finishing the leftovers of dinner few days ago. Sometimes my head was burning with pain and irritation when I fell asleep, but I gradually liked this feeling of challenge. Another barrier was laziness. I felt a driving force prevent me from getting up early and sit long stably in front of desk with no school bound.Durin g after this struggle I arranged a schedule that detailed from morning to night, including the "classes" I gave myself every day. I also set up alarm clocks on my cell phone to wake me up on standard school time. Though idleness sometimes unconsciously crept onto my head, I looked at my schedule and asked myself why I stayed at home and then somehow alleviated the resistance of grasping my pencil. Trouble also lied on communication. However, I appreciated that my high school college counselor still accepted me and was willing to help me. We even became close friends. Now I sailed on the right path, the unique route of my own.
I spoke a word aloud, but no one in my family answered me---they weren't back from work yet.

Today was the two hundred and sixth day that I had been out of high school since graduation, June 1st.

However, this decision led to undesirable consequences.

some inquired me, and some felt disappointed and thought this child was destroyed.Do you mean questioned me?

I was anxious and uncertain, but I was also determined to prove not only to my family but also to myself that I could achieve my goal.

I lacked textbooks, so I bought books from the store and borrowed literaturefrom the state public library.

I lacked teachers to ask, so I sat alone at home to read and reread the passages , and I also memorized hundreds of vocabulary words every day, from daily life words to literary words on Barron's 3500 word list, despite these words annoyingly haunting my dreams .

I feared laziness, like the experience I had on long vacations before, so I arranged a schedule that detailed from morning to night, including the "classes" I took every day, and I also set up alarm clocks on cell phone to wake me up on standard school time...

Suddenly do I realized that my electronic dictionary was left aside when I was reading, that I became no more stranger among native friends and they were willing to call me, and that I overcame the loneliness. I discovered the unique but right path to sail forward.

The ring bell of my cell phone pulled me back to the blackout. I picked up the phone and opened the door.

So do my life. This doesn't make sense here, you need to elaborate.

Here are a few grammatical fixes, but your essay is a lot better!

:)
OP JHazuresky 1 / 2  
Thank you very much Kevin! You always help me and encourage me.
Kevin did a really thorough job of going through your essay, but here a few more fixes you could make:

"I arranged a schedule that detailed my day from morning to night, including the "classes" I took every day, "

"By resisting doubts from my relatives and persisting in my path of studying English, I found my learning process had become more efficient, and that I could learn what I most need to improve."

"I will no more fear loneliness, but to continue this journey in the next six months to practice my English"

Home / Undergraduate / U Michigan Setback essay ("departed from high school since graduation")