"Miss Empire State" - Macaulay Honors

clayruh 1 / -  
The prompt says to evaluate a significant risk you have taken or ethical dilemma you have faced and discuss its impact on you.(500 words)

"Miss Empire State" is what my banner read as I walked around the lobby of the Hilton Hotel at the Disney Resorts. The previous summer, I had participated in a state pageant just to rank my abilities in the talent section and nothing else; I ended up being titled Miss Empire State. One of my many obligations was to participate in the national pageant during the week of Thanksgiving.

So there I was, pretending to be all smiles while missing 3 precious days of AP classes, not being able to work on my art portfolio, not giving my college applications the full attention they deserved, not being able to spend Thanksgiving with all my family and friends, and to top it all off, not having any internet connection. The most daunting thing I realized at that point was that when the pageant was over and I would be home on Sunday at 8pm, I was expected to have all my make-up homework and college essays done. But the opportunity to build my confidence and character, and to expose myself to other teens just as passionate about their community was what mattered to me the most.

People who take risks understand the consequences of what they are dealing with, but are also aware of the innumerous palpable and intangible benefits; I understood that by sacrificing this week to attend the pageant, I would learn so much more than what I could in a classroom. The pageant not just about being surrounded by bubbly and pretty girls, it was about meeting sophisticated young women who would lead the world of tomorrow.

There is a common misconception that pageants are for brainless beauties that can strut their evening gown and hope for world peace, and truthfully, I believed that before the pageant as well. But these girls I spent Thanksgiving week with were so much more than that. They had poise, self-confidence, and most importantly, the ability to brilliantly express their opinions. They were all at the top of their classes, volunteered numberless hours in their communities, and held countless recognitions for their accomplishments. I wanted those qualities.

I was always a timid girl, always hiding in the shadows of my older sister who was out-going, smart, and beautiful. But I began to understand and appreciate opportunities like this pageant where I could come out from that shadow and shine, showing the world my own potential. I may not be able to get back the time I could have spent enjoying Thanksgiving with family and friends, working on my art portfolio, and studying for my AP classes, but the chance I was given to metamorphose into a more resolute and erudite young woman weighted far greater in importance. I did not have to win the title of Miss American Teen to have walked away from that pageant and said I was more confident, more self-assured, and more grateful for opportunities like these.
"Miss Empire State" is what my banner read, as I walked around the lobby of the Hilton Hotel at the Disney Resorts.

So there I was, pretending to be all smiles while missing 3 precious days of AP classes, not being able to work on my art portfolio, not giving my college applications the full attention they deserved, and not being able to spend Thanksgiving with all my family and friends, and to top it all off, not having any internet connection.

The pageant was not just about being surrounded by bubbly and pretty girls, it was about meeting sophisticated young women who would lead the world of tomorrow.

They were all at the top of their classes, volunteered countless hours in their communities, and held countless recognitions---What does it mean to 'hold a recognition'? for their accomplishments.

But I began to understand and appreciate opportunities like this pageant, where I could come out from that shadow and shine, showing the world my own potential.

I did not have to win the title of Miss American Teen to have walked away from that pageant and said I wasfeeling more confident, more self-assured, and more grateful for opportunities like these.

Good luck with school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / "Miss Empire State" - Macaulay Honors