MIT Short Answer #3 - Time you used your Creativity

Pikafu 4 / 15  
Tell us about a time you used your creativity. This could be something you made, a project that you led, an idea that you came up with, or pretty much anything else. (*) (200-250 words)

There is something instinctively thrilling about experimenting with music. Whenever practice becomes too dull, I can turn to my own mind and enjoy music the way it was meant to be enjoyed. When I improvise, I stop imagining what my teacher would say about my mistakes. I stop wondering whether my interpretation of a piece is too outlandish. I stop worrying about the texture of my crescendos, the timing of my rubatos, or the accuracy of my dotted eighth notes.

I stop thinking, and simply do.

From the first hesitant note springs another. I coax the music out at first, but soon I am completely immersed in its flow. A progression of chords forms the bedrock of my improvisation, while a clear melody forms its voice. When I become more daring, the tempo increases and new harmonies lead me towards the unknown. As rich chords combine with frenzied melody, the drizzle becomes a torrential downpour. The room thunders and the piano shakes, but I hardly notice. I continue to improvise, pouring all my energy into the piano, losing track of time. It seems like an hour before my music starts to mellow out, coming to a natural conclusion. The storm is over. I finish the improvisation the way I started it, with a final, delicate note.
ebby2010 10 / 51  
the only suggestion i have is the use of your transitions in these sentences:

When I become more daring , the tempo increases and new harmonies lead me towards the unknown.

I continue to improvise , pouring all my energy into the piano, losing track of time.

those transitions kind of lesson the nice flow the essay has. maybe scratch them completely or reword them to make it fit more.

other than that, this is a really great essay! very captivating. i can tell you're really passionate about music and that's what colleges love to see--passion.
ebby2010 10 / 51  
I meant to say 'lessen' not 'lesson'
tsunami 1 / 17  
Very descriptive, good, enthralling! I enjoyed reading it. I would suggest using a dash instead of a comma in "started it--with a final, delicate note."
EF_Stephen - / 264  
Good comments all.

I enjoyed the piece very much. It's what I do when I am writing fiction. So I know exactly what you are talking about.
OP Pikafu 4 / 15  
Thank you everybody! I appreciate your feedback.

Home / Undergraduate / MIT Short Answer #3 - Time you used your Creativity