MIT - Personality Essay

metalstriker 6 / 16  
What attribute of your personality are you most proud of, and how has it impacted your life so far? This could be your creativity, effective leadership, sense of humor, integrity, or anything else you'd like to tell us about. (*) (200-250 words)

I take pride in being a perfectionist. Whenever I'm learning something, I make sure I fully understand the concept behind it. There are no compromises when it comes to knowing how something functions, whether it is a machine or a mathematical formula. I've never taken a "short-cut method" just to answer exam questions. This attribute enhances my daily performance and I find it a lot easier to apply theoretical knowledge to everyday life. Now, I don't have to study as much as others during the examination period as I already understand and know the details of a specific topic. Also, being a perfectionist, I see many intricate designs, patterns and connections other people miss. There was an instance when my physics lecturer was teaching us about Einstein's equations of relativity and photoelectric effect and I noticed a contradiction that the rest of the class missed.

Since I can complete a task perfectly by noting the details surrounding it, I've become very flexible in my thinking. I can adapt to almost any situation and handle it. Through that principle, I was able to accomplish many tasks by myself from a young age and quickly became an independent person.

Being a perfectionist leads me to review the most basic ideas to totally comprehend a subject and to get a better overview of it. A year ago, I discovered a site on robot-building. I set to work immediately. However, the site did not offer complete material to understand the mechanism behind robots. So, I started from the basics by self-teaching myself XHTML and the programming language of Python. Being a perfectionist has cause my knowledge to branch out.

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. : )
lethalityKD 4 / 21  
I hope I'm helpful.
I'm sorry if I come across as harsh.

Good Luck! :)
lostboy10 - / 8  
I'm going to apologize in advance for being harsh.

The essay itself is good but the personality you show comes across as arrogant. College don't want to learn about how perfect you are or how much better you are then everyone else, thats up for them to decide. They want to see that you are a person and they want to learn about your character, so it pays of to be slightly humble in these essays. I suggest instead of 'perfectionist' you use the world 'meticulous' to show that you want to make sure that you completely understand a concept when learning.

I would also appreciate it you could take a look at mine!
OP metalstriker 6 / 16  
Thx guys. But the thing is, even if I scrap off or rewrite those points, I wouldn't be able to elaborate on the contradiction and the independent part... The max is 260 words.

So, any ideas?

Home / Undergraduate / MIT - Personality Essay