MIT How has your Personality impacted your Life?

cupnoodle123 15 / 52  
What attribute of your personality are you most proud of, and how has it impacted your life so far? This could be your creativity, effective leadership, sense of humor, integrity, or anything else you'd like to tell us about. (*) (200-250 words)

I do daily exercises to try to cure my own myopia, using Chinese callisthenic techniques, or carrots, or my own creatively invented methods. For fun, I read Cantonese comic books that are written in Chinese and creatively mixed with English to portray typical Hong Kong "Canglish." The aspect of my personality that I enjoy most is my eccentric creativity. Though it arises not from exceptional genius, my eccentricity is both the cause and effect of the way I think and speak, and lends to my creativity. For this reason, I identify with children through their bizarre personalities. I work with kids every week through StARTs**, and I observed that they learn best when concepts are explained through shapes and images rather than numbers. To help kids grasp harder techniques, I realize I cannot be afraid to employ visual tools, expressive language, and hand-motions to cleverly explain my meanings. It makes me express my eccentric personality before them, and though it feels ridiculous at first, I know the only way to teach well is to teach creatively. This has helped me become a better teacher, and at school when my friends have questions, they can expect to receive an eager and creative explanation of the problem from me. I simply enjoy using my brain to think outside "all boxes." So in school, I like difficult classes because I trust that my store of creativity can turn drab curriculum into exciting new knowledge that can be interpreted from creative angles.
For fun, I read Cantonese comic books that are written in Chinese and creatively mixed with English, to portray typical Hong Kong "Canglish."

I work with kids every week through StARTs**, and I've observed that they learn best when concepts are explained through shapes and images, rather than numbers.

It enables me express my eccentric personality before them, and though it feels ridiculous at first, I know the only way to teach well is to teach creatively.

So in school, I like difficult classes because I trust that my store of creativity can turn a drab curriculum into exciting new knowledge that can be interpreted from creative angles.

:)
deremifri 9 / 137  
One thing:
I don't think reading creative things counts as proof for creativity.
Nice last sentence though
OP cupnoodle123 15 / 52  
K got that thanks :) I kinda meant I admired that aspect of it written creatively

Home / Undergraduate / MIT How has your Personality impacted your Life?