MIT: Political Science Passion & Adaptability

nikamonster 9 / 38  
Feel free to only edit one of these. Thanks in advance for any comments/criticisms!

Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (100 words or fewer)

MIT's Political Science department takes a nontraditional quantitative approach by emphasizing research and crafting its curriculum around a science core. It is the type of education that not only feeds my passion but also matches my logic-driven thinking process. MIT's Applied International Studies minor also fits well with my love of languages and desire to work for a global society. Knowing four languages already and having ethnically diverse friends, I want to participate in MISTI and become culturally aware. The unequaled Political Science program along with MISTI will ensure that I receive a unique education and valuable hands-on experiences.

What attribute of your personality are you most proud of, and how has it impacted your life so far? This could be your creativity, effective leadership, sense of humor, integrity, or anything else you'd like to tell us about. (200-250 words)

I arrived in America when I was eight, knowing only three English words: hi, bye, and apple. Being the first Asian my fellow third graders had met, I realized that standing out was the key to fitting in. So, I shared my cultural differences, even if that only meant playing Chinese jump rope instead of hopscotch during recess.

Within a year, I was able to breach the language and cultural barrier. When fourth grade came around, I yearned to truly belong; I wanted to be just like my peers. Wearing Aéropostale and Mudd clothes and dancing to Britney Spears songs, I became a physical and mental replica.

Between fifth grade and eighth grade, I switched schools a total of four times. Along the way, the new and foreign were no longer feared. They became expected sources of excitement.

Four years later, I've become a social chameleon. When I encounter extroverted band kids, my bold, quirky personality emerges. When I'm around quiet artists, I bring out my reserved nature. When I see the future Linus Pauling's and Carl Gauss's of our school, I'm ready to discuss last night's hardest AP physics homework problem.

Though a chameleon changes colors to fit accordingly to its surroundings, it never doubts or forgets its true identity. In the same way, I adhere to my values, uphold my morals, and always retain the essence of my character. However, I have been blessed with the capability to quickly adapt to foreign settings, unfamiliar situations, and new faces.

Describe the world you come from; for example, your family, clubs, school, community, city, or town. How has that world shaped your dreams and aspirations? (200-250 words)

My passion did not emerge from textbooks or lectures. My love cannot be learned from teachers. My dreams were not created in a classroom setting. It is both the world I come from and the world that I have escaped that has revealed to me a dedication to international politics.

I used to live in a world where my future was dictated by a one-time test score, my ideas were confined to government ideologies, and my opportunities were limited to my immediate surroundings. My school controlled every aspect of what I learned, regardless of my interests. Having elective classes was a foreign concept. My religious beliefs were nonexistent because religion was unpopular with the government. My budding seeds of discontentment for government actions and media falsities were often stifled, just to be safe. Sure, there was never any real threat for a young girl like me, but there was never any real freedom either.

Today, my future has unlimited possibilities and my thoughts can contain an array of government praises or criticisms. Living in a comparatively transparent democracy, I have been able to explore the intricate workings of the government and determine that this is a field I want to pursue. Having always been a compassionate and ambitious person, I desire to lead a career that truly matters, on a human day-to-day level. One single desire will consume my livelihood: the desire to uphold freedom where it exists and bring freedom where it does not.
tanyasilva11 10 / 38  
i love all three! i really can't find anything negative to say about any of them. good job! i think you're ready to send these out tonight.
pintianz 7 / 15  
Your personality essay is contradicting, whats the main point? are you talking about how you stand out in public or your ability to adjust to new environment. Keep in mind that the reader reads alot of essay in a short amount of time, so make sure the point you are making is clear.
OP nikamonster 9 / 38  
hmm...okay, i was worried about that. i see what you're saying. originally i was going to put something like: I am most proud of my adaptability through my malleability.

would that help? or be necessary? because i'm running out of words.
neil 1 / 12  
I like the first two ones a lot.

When I got to the third one, I realised you could have used your international background for your third essay, but used it effectively for the second one instead. That card isn't quite played right in the last one. I'm curious as to what government actions you protested before you were eight? Have you maybe exaggerated a bit?

Also, probably not a good idea to insult the major you're choosing with "I've been told they a waste of my intelligence".
OP nikamonster 9 / 38  
thanks neil! i definitely agree with what you said. the 3rd essay was the last one i wrote, and i ran out creativitiy, motivation, and words.

how about,
Any lingering discontentment of government actions and media falsities were often stifled, just to be safe.

or

My budding seeds of discontentment of government actions and media falsities were often stifled, just to be safe.
Vagivan 2 / 10  
thanks for looking over my essay
I feel that you should try to connect your life experience more to why you want to passionately follow your major
i see that there is some connection but it could be worked on to further propound the fact why your surrounding have changed you
try to use more personal descriptions to engage the reader

Home / Undergraduate / MIT: Political Science Passion & Adaptability