MIT spare time essay and appealing major

mrgzg1 6 / 14  
How do you spend your spare time?

Out of all my hobbies I like reading the most. My father inspired me to read newspaper daily, while today due to environmental concerns I read news online. The best thing I like reading about is technology. I spend at least half an hour everyday by reading RSS feeds of sites by engadget, android community, slashdot, BBC news and Times of India. I like my feeds to be managed so I use google reader to manage them effectively.

What is the major that is most appealing to you right now?
Mechanical Engineering appeals me the most because of the practical challenge that this field poses. Even in future when I will be doing research of job in this field it will be challenging for me and it will keep my mind active. Ever since I was young I used to collect broken toys from my friends and I used to try to fix. Whenever I wasn't able to fix the toys I used to take motors and LEDs from them and I used to play with them. Sometimes I used to make a car of my own, sometimes I used to glue motor to my Lego models. Even today I try to innovate in my spare time.
schmevie 6 / 17  
thanks for answering but what did you think of the essay in general like contentwise?
yang 2 / 313  
lol notice that one of the forum rules is to help THIS thread, not talk about your own...at least not before contributing

your spare time thing is nice, but I'd develop what part of technology fascinates you. you name a bunch of info sponsors...but honestly your SA reads more to me like a direct appeal to go to MIT than a personal essay...unless you convey your passion, that is

Even in future when I will be doing research of job in this field it will be challenging for me and it will keep my mind active.

try to combine this with your previous sentence

Well, your major essay doesn't talk anything about your understanding of your major. It focuses on your interest of engineering, which isn't bad, but not answering the prompt fully. I think that you ought to talk more in depth about the engineering outside your childhood fancies and actually focuses on what MIT offers. I think that the hint question behind this is: why come to MIT for your major?

Overall, I think you should be more creative. MIT is a very liberal school, and loves to see new things (they have an essay on that!) So you need to vary your sentences, make your essay feel more alive, and try using catchy starts!
Logical_Fella_C - / 33  

This could be said about virtually any field one wants to major in. You don't need to mention it. Try to be more specific about it maybe.

Even today I try to innovate in my spare time.

This sounds not only generic but also a bit awkward. You have great details about your past... why not about right now and about the future? Briefly mention your current activities and then really focus on how MIT's mechanical engineering program is the right choice for you.

Oh now I see that yang already mentioned this...

I'd like to add that I really like your answer to the first prompt.

while today due to environmental concerns I read news online

What I understand from this is that you are aware of the "environmental concerns" of cutting down trees to make paper for magazines and such. Not too sure if I'm right, but you should revise this sentence to make it... make sense.
My father inspired me to read newspaper daily, and today I have switched to the use of online news sources due to environmental concerns. The subject I most like reading about is technology. I spend at least half an hour every day by reading RSS feeds of sites by engadget, android community, slashdot, BBC news and Times of India (are any of these proper nous that should be capitalized? ). I like my feeds to be managed so I use Google Reader to manage them effectively.

Home / Undergraduate / MIT spare time essay and appealing major