Mock Trial - 250+ common app essay any revisions would be a great help

gokhalea09 2 / -  
Mock Trial is a competition in which teams from different schools face-off against one another to prosecute or defend a party in the court of law. Participants must study the facts from various angles and become conversant with the rules so that they may use them to their advantage. Mock Trial, however, is much more than rules and bouts of lengthy questioning. Arduous preparation is necessary to create a game plan and achieve victory in the court of law. Each individual courtroom confrontation is simply the execution of two thoroughly thought out battle stratagems. I had to learn how to properly wield my words so that I could chip away at the enemy's front lines. In each encounter I had to utilize my opening statements and honed questions to poke holes in my opposition's story. After surviving many of these intense engagements I was able to grow intellectually, learning from my triumphs and defeats.

I began my career as a Mock Trial lawyer during my sophomore year of high school. Several of my classmates and I formed Ensworth's very first competitive Mock Trial team. Since we were the school's first Mock Trial team, we were learning and adapting along the way. Our school provided us with an excellent coach - a professional trial lawyer. From then on, we began our journey into the exciting and often complex world of Mock Trial

We worked during our bi-weekly meetings and practices, at first only two hours each, but as we neared the competition date, practices stretched to six hours a day and were all-consuming. In the beginning, we attended an actual court trial in order to learn all the little tips and tricks on how to handle an opposing witness and keep them within the confines of his/her original statement. We worked on looking at the witness depositions from a variety of perspectives. All of our efforts allowed for a successful first year for our Mock Trial team, placing 5th overall and 1st out of the rookie teams.

Not only did our team succeed, but I also achieved success on a personal level. Mock Trail has shaped me into a dedicated and efficient worker. I often had to give up my Saturday social time to work with my coach and perfect an opening statement or a cross examination of a witness, but I did so willingly. I began to look forward to the intellectual sparring with my peers and I grew to love the work. Mock Trial challenged me to think in ways that many of my school courses did not. It increased my ability to work meticulously and look at situations in a more analytical manner.

Whether in a classroom debate or a casual conversation, I have been able to bring a fresh new perspective to the exchange due to my newfound skills. In addition, Mock Trial has increased my work ethic, allowing me to leave no stone unturned in my search for knowledge. Even if I do not continue to participate in Mock Trial, I know I will be able to transfer the abilities I have acquired from my dedication and commitment to the program to other aspects of my life.

Thanks!
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

This is a good subject for this type of essay. Mechanically, make sure you are not capitalizing words that are not proper nouns nor the first words of sentences. For instance, "Mock Trial" should not be capitalized, as it is neither. Other than that, it looks very clean. In regards to content, I like how you discuss team success and personal success very closely, both in regards to evaluation and physical space. It works well here. I suggest expanding a little more near the end as to how you will transfer these abilities into other parts of your life. That will show a deeper evaluation of the experience and show you can reflect successfully on yourself and your work.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / Mock Trial - 250+ common app essay any revisions would be a great help