model airplanes: Cornell Engineering

zxing 3 / 8  
Here is my supplement essay for Cornell. Any feedback, especially on the last paragraph, would be appreciated!

College of Engineering:
Engineers turn ideas (technical, scientific, mathematical) into reality. Tell us about an engineering idea you have or your interest in engineering. Explain how Cornell Engineering can help you further explore this idea or interest.

My interest in engineering came from building model airplanes. It all started after third grade. In the summer of third grade, my family took a trip to Florida. On the way back, at my insistence, we stopped to visit the National Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. I had a great time looking at all the different airplanes, and on the way out, I got a model airplane kit from the gift shop. Upon arriving home, I eagerly unwrapped it and dove into the construction process. To this day, I still remember the horrendous mass of crumpled balsa wood and glue I produced. The model was much too delicate and advanced for a third grade graduate, and I never even came close to completing it. However, that first model whet my appetite and introduced me to a wonderful hobby that I still enjoy today. I started building models from various internet plans and soon, I was competing in (and even winning) various model airplane competitions.

I enjoy building model aircraft because it allows me to apply the abstract principles I learn at school. Designing and building a well-flying model aircraft is no easy task. It requires a deep understanding of various scientific topics: physics for designing the model, chemistry for choosing materials, and various practical sciences for everything else in the construction stage. In the classroom, I always found pure science interesting but I frequently questioned its utility. Acquiring knowledge for the sake of knowing it never made much sense to me, therefore engineering, which is the application of knowledge for practical purposes, came naturally for me. Being able to physically apply my knowledge provides me a deep satisfaction; as a result, my work with model airplanes has ignited a strong passion for engineering.

My dream is to start an engineering company, and Cornell Engineering is perfect for me. Cornell's College of Engineering is consistently ranked as one of the best in the nation, and I am confident it will provide me with the best education possible for my career path. The resources available at Cornell are abundant, enabling the university to operate everything from the Mars Rover to the Arecibo Observatory. The cutting edge research conducted by the Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering will allow me to turn my ideas into reality. In addition, Cornell's broad number of programs is extremely appealing. Due to the multi-faceted nature of my dream, the ability to, for example, minor in Engineering Management or Business for Engineering Students is a decisive factor in my decision. All in all, Cornell University offers the best combination of features to enable me to succeed in the future.
christopherpeng 3 / 4  
" Cornell's College of Engineering is consistently ranked as one of the best in the nation, and I am confident it will provide me with the best education possible for my career path."

I think you should revise that. If it is ranked as no. 1, you shouldn't be stating whether you are confident or not. its a little redundant, and maybe you should be more specific in your reasoning why you should go there. A little more details.
OP zxing 3 / 8  
Anybody have any more feedback? The only reply I got came from a user who was suspended, and looking at his history, I assume it was for providing meaningless answers. What about the first paragraph? Is it really necessary and would I lose anything if I cut most of it out and combined it with the second? I am using this essay as a template for several of the other essays for other schools I am applying to, so I really must make sure it is the best it can be.

Home / Undergraduate / model airplanes: Cornell Engineering