Molecular Gastronomy - Stanford Intellectual vitality

SeniorMel 7 / 45  
Thank you for any feedback!

1. Stanford students possess an intellectual vitality. Reflect on an idea or experience that has been important to your intellectual development.
Surrounded by strangers, I sat in the audience with no idea what to expect. With my love for food, I was instantly hooked after hearing about a lecture hosted by the Chicago Humanties Festival, "Deconstructing Dinner: Molecular Gastronomy." I craned my neck, seeking the origins of a mysterious, visible gas appearing from under a table. Thomas Bowman, executive chef of the pioneering restaurant iNG (Imagining New Gastronomy) walked on stage and the revelation began.

The latest culinary technology, molecular gastronomy, combines art and science, focusing on a deeper understanding of the chemistry and physics of food. Its goal is to change existing expectations of how food should look and taste. Molecular gastronomy also explores how new cooking methods, tools and ingredients produce various textures and flavors. Tools usually employed in the laboratory such as centrifuges, food dehydrators and laser infrared surface thermometers are moving into the kitchen. He explained how the molecular gastronomy movement utilizes "ingredients" like liquid nitrogen, hydrocolloids and food additives to form edible foams and gels. To demonstrate, Bowman "cooked" a waffle with liquid nitrogen, the mysterious gas. The waffle was fast frozen since liquid nitrogen's temperature at normal atmospheric pressure is -210 degrees Celsius. For enjoyment and aesthetic purposes, Bowman applied a blowtorch for completion.

In this program, he articulated how the miracle berry, native to West Africa, generates the perception that foods are sweet. The protein miraculin binds to taste buds, causing sour and savory foods to taste sweet, its effect lasting for one hour after digestion. When miraculin contacts acids, it activates the sweetness. Miracle berries contain no sugar introducing another alternative for diabetics and dieters. Attending this lecture not only increased my understanding of science in food but changed my perception of the conventions of dining.
Balanchine 4 / 20  
Surrounded by strangers, I sat in the audience with no idea what to expect. With my love for food, I was instantly hooked after hearing about a lecture hosted by the Chicago Humanties Festival, "Deconstructing Dinner: Molecular Gastronomy."I would reword this sentence. It is a little awkward. Furthermore, I'm a little confused-- where are you? Are you at the Chicago Humanities Festival, or are they simply putting on a presentation at a convention you're attending? I craned my neck, seeking the originsThis is also a little awkward. Perhaps, "I craned my neck to see a mysterious gas appear from underneath the table" of a mysterious, visible gas appearing from under a table. Thomas Bowman, executive chef of the pioneering restaurant iNG (Imagining New Gastronomy) walked on stage and the revelation began.

The latest culinary technology, molecular gastronomy, combines art and science, focusing on a deeper understanding of the chemistry and physics of food. Its goal is to change existing expectations of how food should look and taste. Molecular gastronomy alsobyexploresexploring how new cooking methods, tools and ingredients produce various textures and flavors. Tools usually employed in the laboratory such as centrifuges, food dehydrators and laser infrared surface thermometers, are movingmoved into the kitchen. This is where it gets confusing. I understand that you are referring to Thomas Bowman, but I'm not sure that the Stanford AO will. After reading however many applications per day, how can you be sure they'll understand exactly what you mean? Furthermore, this is very segmented; what I mean by this is that you introduce Thomas Bowman, then you cut to a completely new section about what molecular gastronomy is, and then you make reference to Thomas Bowman once more. Is the above the 'revelation' he had been explaining? He explained how the molecular gastronomy movement utilizes "ingredients" like liquid nitrogen, hydrocolloids and food additives to form edible foams and gels. To demonstrate, Bowman "cooked" a waffle with liquid nitrogen, the mysterious gas. The waffle was fast frozen since liquid nitrogen's temperature at normal atmospheric pressure is -210 degrees Celsius. For enjoyment and aesthetic purposes, Bowman applied a blowtorch for completion.

Overall, not bad. You picked interesting content which makes your essay engaging. However, the errors that you've made are too obvious to ignore. You need to organize your essay into a much clearer format. The closing sentence to your last paragraph is also quite weak because I see it as being very generic. How many essays have you seen ending in, "Attending this lecture changed my perception on the conventions of dining." Your word choice is good, however, you could restructure. But overall, not bad. With a few adjustments here and there, you should be well on your way!

Hope to see you at Stanford next year! I hope I didn't come off as harsh-- I'm just trying to help. Feel free to ask any questions about my notes, and I'll elaborate further.

Mind going over my essays?

Good luck!
OP SeniorMel 7 / 45  
no you didn't seem harsh at all. the chicago humanities festival is a series of lectures and demonstration and also the name of the organization. and yes the above explanation of mol. gas. is the revelation but I think I'm going to change that word back to what I had originally.
zman9264 2 / 9  
Your topic is interesting. I agree with the comments made by Balanchine. I would like to emphasize that the last sentence could be much better.

You seem to jump around in your essay. One minute you're talking about waffles and pancakes, yet in the next paragraph you, with little transition, discuss miracle berries. "Miracle berries contain no sugar introducing another alternative for diabetics and dieters. Attending this lecture not only increased my understanding of science in food but changed my perception of the conventions of dining." - doesn't flow together very well.

Anyways, not counting the errors mentioned above, your essay is good.

Good luck, and thanks for looking over my essay!

Home / Undergraduate / Molecular Gastronomy - Stanford Intellectual vitality