"No money for you!"- Columbia Supplement

Sunlee 1 / -  
What most appeals to you about Columbia and why?

"NO! I will not give you my hard earned money to study Physics. You have to study something by which you can feed yourself and your future family. You must study engineering!"

As those words came echoed out of my father's mouth, it was as if my whole world started to crumble around me. How could he say no to his own son's dreams? This was not what was supposed to happen. Fathers can't do that! And with those thoughts I went to sleep.

The next morning, I grudgingly threw out the college list that I had prepared earlier. All that hard work. Gone. As I set out to make a new college list with Universities with an engineering major, I just couldn't put my mind to it. I knew that engineering is not where my heart belonged. Who wants to go around and work in sites all day long? Sure I did have a bit of a knack for creating mechanical pieces, like a 4 motor electric toy car which me and a friend made 2 years back in our spare time, but that was just a hobby. And yes, even though it wasn't the prettiest car in the world, it moved; without me pushing it.

And the new search then yielded Columbia. As I pondered in the Arts and Science section of the site, looking at what I would be missing, I stumbled upon the "3-2 program". After reading it through, it was as if the colors returned to my eyes. And after a lot of persuading when dad came back home, he said, although grudgingly, yes!

And yes, that is what I find most appealing about Columbia University.

Thanks in advance for your amazing feedbacks :)
Ngozi93 3 / 30  
hey i love your essay but i think you should specify more on how the program will help to further your drive and why your interested in the program and its possible impact on you.

hey thanks but um how is it shallow?
amazingA 8 / 35  
i agree with Ngozi Anyiam specifics should strengthen your essay because it might give them an idea of why you want to study the program..as opposed to just listing it for the sake of it

other than that, man, this stuff is awesome! good job

please offer me some criticisms on my cornell essay..i need it
tonglil 3 / 8  
I also agree that you should more focus on what it is "about Columbia" that you find appealing, not "I am applying because my dad says I can", ya know?

I mean talk about the school, the program, Columbia. I find that their supp is asking more for what you see in them that sets them apart, rather than who you are and your desires, if that make sense?

GL
oOCiCiOo 6 / 8  
Strenthen more about

1 the program

2 the cole crriculum--search it on Columbia's website! It teaches the basic science and liberal arts and teach students how to think.

I agree that you should weaken your father's part. You are not seems to chase your own dreams, but yielding.

I understands you cause' things like this happen a lot in Aisan families...Yielding is a virtue. But this is US. Remenber American Dreams?
Gillatorby 1 / 11  
This is about 99% story and 1% what appeals to you about Columbia/why. I would rewrite it.

Home / Undergraduate / "No money for you!"- Columbia Supplement