"Money is a villian" - Notre Dame Supplement Essay

ohreally 8 / 20  
1. The Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., President of the University of Notre Dame, said in his Inaugural Address that, "If we are afraid to be different from the world, how can we make a difference in the world?" In what way do you feel you are different from your peers, and how will this shape your contribution to the Notre Dame community?

Ever since I was a child, money has been like a shady, ominous villain in the background waiting to strike at the precise moment. My dad declared bankruptcy when I was eight years old and again when I was fourteen years old. It was like a double whammy, totally unexpected and inhumanely tragic. As one could easily assume, my personal development matured quite painfully and laboriously. Although I am rather content with the person I am today, it has taken these harsh incidents to mold me.

As a person who has endured through such experiences, I am certain that I have the know-how to help anybody who may be going through the incidents that I have already experienced. I know, in harsh economic times like these, many students have or will experience hardships. When I become a part of the Notre Dame community, I'd like to help fellow students get through their own hard times by being the sturdy shoulder to lean on, the one who could give them the comfort and advice they need. By either forming a club or a small discussion group, I could reach out to certain students who would like to talk about their problems. This particular club could be seen as a close-knit, student-to-student counseling group; we could help each other get through our own hard times. By doing so, many Notre Dame students may be helped by my sharing my story and by my being compassionate and understanding.

Thank you in advance! :D
ac10 4 / 5  
although i liked your essay, i thought it went on a tangent and didn't really answer the question head-on.

that's just my opinion, which might not always be accurate :)

good luck though, and if you get a chance, please critique my upenn supp. (autobio.) as well? thanks!
dhruvsharma 3 / 8  
I really liked the genuine concern i could feel in your essay.
Im guessing its because you have actually been through hard times, which is very different from imagining them.

You have 2 solid experiences which i doubt many others can brag they faced.

"development matured quite painfully"
Personally ,"painfully " seems rather harsh to me, makes it sound like it didn't let you develop to your full potential.
OP ohreally 8 / 20  
Thank you so much ac10 and dhruvsharma for replying!!

Home / Undergraduate / "Money is a villian" - Notre Dame Supplement Essay