My moral strength: parents and my Catholic education -FSU application essay

pencil 6 / 11  
For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

Florida State University's motto, "Vires, Artes, Mores" combines strength, the arts, and tradition. Even though all of these values are reflected in my life, Vires, the Latin word meaning strength, is the one that I feel I exemplify the most. My strength is a valuable asset that assists me in being a well-rounded and successful person.

My moral strength comes from my parents and my Catholic education. Both have taught me to make the right choices and to not be afraid to stand up for what I believe in. I find this to be demonstrated the most in my Economics Honors class. When we are discussing our views on the upcoming Presidential Election, I stand up for what I believe in and make my opinions known, despite not sharing the same beliefs as the majority of the students in my class.

Playing on my high school's tennis team reflects my physical strength. After trying out for the team sophomore year and not making it, I had my mind set on playing my junior year. I took lessons twice a week, even in the hot Florida sun, and I worked out at the gym because I was determined to succeed. My hard work and perseverance paid off when I made the team.

My intellectual strength is reflected in the grades I have received throughout my academic career. I take pride in myself for being a good student and getting the best grades I can. This is reflected in my 4.23 GPA. My thirst for knowledge helps me strive to learn and I take many challenging classes that are offered at my school, such as AP Biology, AP United States History, Composition Dual Enrollment, and Spanish Dual Enrollment.

Vires, the Latin word for strength is one of my most evident qualities. Moral, physical and intellectual strength is clearly evident in my life. As these strengths have helped me be successful throughout my high school career, I know they will do the same when I attend Florida State University.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening.

This is an excellent essay. It answers the prompt, is organized, uses good transitions, and flows easily. You are concise and to the point without seeming abrupt, and your intro as well as your conclusion are very neat. Great job.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP pencil 6 / 11  
Thanks so much for your feedback. I really appreicate it!

Home / Undergraduate / My moral strength: parents and my Catholic education -FSU application essay