Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"my mother couldn't support all of us financially" - Obstacles in my life

4ever2bleed 9 / 28  
Please describe in detail you have faced in your life. If your adversity is strictly financial need, please describe how your financial situation has been an obstacle in your life.

Please help me make some corrections. I dont know if i directly answered the question please tell me if i have or not. Thank you.

As a child, my mother couldn't support all of us financially. So we all had to live without certain things like Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, new clothes, etc. Things were especially hard financially after my parents got divorced. I was around the age 6 or 7. My mother had to get a job to support my three brothers and me. We had to stay at grandmother house, but an unexpected encounter with my father ended the stay. My mother got with my now step-father and brought a small apartment. My mother had to stop working while she was pregnant with my little brother. After my brother was born bills were piling up. One day, we got a letter from the landlord saying we had to move out. The next day, we packed our stuff up to be put in storage, while we stayed at a hotel. Finding a place to stay was hard. We moved from hotel to hotel, until we couldn't afford it no more. My mom started working with my dad as janitors to take care of us. There were times were we would sleep in the car and wake up and take a bath in a bathroom, where my mom and step dad worked at. At school I was often ostracized by my peers because of my thrift shop shoes and clothes. I was ashamed; my mother told me that if I chose to live for others then I shouldn't be living at all. I eventually got over the name calling and jokes. These financial burdens have been an obstacle in my life because there were times where I couldn't participate in sports, summer camps, or I couldn't travel because I had to babysit my brothers so my mother could work or because my mother couldn't afford it. I decided since I couldn't be involved in those activities, there were many others. So in high school I took my education more seriously and became involved in many clubs and organizations, which evolved me into the proud and successful young lady which I have become.

Home / Undergraduate / "my mother couldn't support all of us financially" - Obstacles in my life