Motivation / The Land of The Free / Jordanian -List and describe three unique factors

leyth915 1 / -  
This is a question for a scholarship application that I'm applying to. The rest of the question reads "any obstacles you have faced or passions you have developed are especially relevant."

Can someone please read through them and tell me if they're GREAT?! Thanks.

1. My Motivation

In the wee hours of every early morning, I drag myself out of bed, worn out and tired. In the cold darkness, I walk quickly to my bus stop, just to find out that I have missed it by a mere minute. Grouchy-like, I run to the subway station, just to catch the subway on time to be on time for school. Many would argue this as a bad day. For me though, it's my life. Having done if for the past three years, I have gotten accustomed to his hard lifestyle. But every morning, I remind myself that this what I need to do in order to be admitted into a top tier university and become successful in the future. This is what is going to benefit me later, and I continue undertaking this dreadful task each day because I believe in myself. I believe that I can achieve my dreams and goals if I just apply myself, which is exactly what I am doing.

2. Welcome to the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave

Twenty-one years. For twenty-one years, my parents have survived through thick and thin, endured discrimination, and faced financial difficulties. As immigrants from Jordan, my parents left everything they had behind them, families, a house, jobs. Everything. Starting out as water ice employees and cassette sellers, they slowly moved their way up to becoming federal employees. That, though, did not come easy. They have encountered countless racial slurs, with "terrorist" thrown at them from one corner and "go back to your country" from another, words were being thrown at them as if it were a war. Even though they have not yet reached the ideal American Dream, it is my turn to take over and prove them that I am capable of anything. I think they have suffered enough.

3. Jordanian? What's that?!

As a Muslim Arab-American, I have the privilege of experiencing two completely different cultures and traditions. My life is quite interesting, if you ask me. I speak Arabic at home, and the second I step outside, my tongue automatically shifts to English. I have a different perspective on life than others, as I analyze every single detail and element of everything. I believe in a close relationship with my family, and do not consume in "normal" teenage activities such as drinking and smoking. I hold myself up to certain values as I respect myself as well as others. It is these ties with my culture that influence my behavior, shaping me every step I take I life.
In the wee hours of every early morning, I drag myself out of bed, worn out and tired.

In the cold darkness, I walk quickly to my bus stop, just to find out that I have missed it by a mere minute.--This sounds as if it happens every day. You don't want to sound undisciplined or unable to get up in time for school!

Having done it for the past three years, I have gotten accustomed to his hard lifestyle.

Even though they have not yet reached the ideal American Dream, it is my turn to take over and prove to them that I am capable of anything.

As a Muslim Arab-American, I have had the privilege of experiencing two completely different cultures and traditions.

I believe in a close relationship with my family, and do not take part in "normal" teenage activities such as drinking and smoking.

This is a great essay! Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / Motivation / The Land of The Free / Jordanian -List and describe three unique factors