"Moved from Peru" + "Christian family" - Personal statement - UCF essays

smarquina9 1 / -  
Essay: The personal statements are a very important part of your application. They assist the university in knowing you as an individual, independent of test scores and other objective data. We ask that you respond to two of the topics below. Your personal statement should be no longer than a total of 500 words or 7000 characters for both statements combined. The best personal statements are not necessarily the longest ones.

1. If there has been some obstacle or "bump in the road," in your academic or personal life, please explain the circumstances.
A few years back my family and I moved here from Peru. While sitting at the airport waiting to board the plane my body was engulfed by two very distinct feelings, excitement and anxiety. Hundreds of thoughts began to pass through my mind, "Will I fit in...will I ever learn the new language...what will life be like?" I felt as if I was blindfolded on a roller-coaster, unable to see what was coming next. I continued to ponder upon these and many other thoughts during the rest of our trip. Once we arrived, life seemed to move at the speed of light and before I new it was first day of school. I honestly felt like a fish out of water, everything was so different the way people dressed, talked and behaved. The first months were extremely tough I would get teased and picked on because I spoke with a funny accent and often times wouldn't understand what people said to me. Now, when I look back on that difficult stage of my life I understand that if it wouldn't have been for those situations I wouldn't be where I am right now. Not only did they help me become more confident and mature, they also made me a more determined person. Every insult and push made my desire to succeed bigger and bigger. I learned that there are no impossibles in life, no problem too hard to overcome. I learned that with determination and God's help we can overcome anything life may throw our way.

2. How has your family history, culture, or environment influenced who you are?
My family has always played a very important role in my life, ever since I was young my parents have continuously taught me many values that I keep until this day. They always stressed on the importance of being honest and respectful, to treat others the way you want to be treated and to accept people no matter how different they might be. One of the most important lessons my dad taught me is that the value of a human being is not found in his or her possessions and monetary wealth but rather in his or her morals and principles. He constantly reminds me that no matter how smart or successful I might become, the one thing that I should never ignore are my principles, to do what is right even if that brings negative consequences and to never give in to the pressure of taking the easy route out of a problem. Now, I must point out that alike my dad my mom is also of great influence to me. Through her life and teachings she is always encouraging me to be grow more spiritually and become a better Christian. She is constantly making sure that I don't neglect this very important aspect of my life and that I put God above all things. So whether we are at the dinner table or on vacation, my parents are always sharing their wisdom and knowledge with me.
A few years ago, my family and I moved here from Peru.

I felt as if I was blindfolded on a roller-coaster, unable to see what was coming next.--Great sentence!

Once we arrived, life seemed to move at the speed of light and before I new it, it was the first day of school.

I honestly felt like a fish out of water, everything was so different, the way people dressed, talked and behaved.

The first months were extremely tough; I would get teased and picked on because I spoke with a funny accent and often times couldn't understand what people said to me.

Now, when I look back on that difficult stage of my life I understand that if it hadn't been for those situations I wouldn't be where I am right now.

...ever since I was young my parents have continuously taught me many values that I keep to this day.

They always stressed on the importance of being honest and respectful,...

Now, I must point out that like my dad, my mom is also of great influence to me.

Through her life and teachings she is always encouraging me to be grow more spiritually and become a better Christian.

Great essays! Good luck in school!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / "Moved from Peru" + "Christian family" - Personal statement - UCF essays